Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goat Pictures Request

Default Goat Pictures Request

I'm planning a fly-out out of Cordova for goats again this year. Last year, my partner and I went out in October and the weather was horrible. I'd like to go earlier in the season but don't want the hair to be too short. We were told by a couple locals in Cordova that there isn't much difference between the hair from late August to early October.

So, if you've taken a goat out of SE Alaska (Cordova, Valdez, or Yakutat areas) please post a picture and the date you took it so I can make up my mind.

Thanks.

Mid Oct, outside of Cordova.

Finished product...

Default Incredible!

Wow, Jim. That first photo has to be one of the best field photos I've ever seen of a North American trophy. No kidding. No blood, an animal well into its prime... very nice. I hope you had this picture framed; it's that good.

I don't know who the photographer was, but I'd keep them around a while. Excellent.

Congratulations!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Wow, Jim. That first photo has to be one of the best field photos I've ever seen of a North American trophy. No kidding. No blood, an animal well into its prime... very nice. I hope you had this picture framed; it's that good.

I don't know who the photographer was, but I'd keep them around a while. Excellent.

Congratulations!

-Mike
    Thanks Mike. I take the photographer everywhere I go. <grin> Self made pic.

Default Camera?

Sorry Kay9 not trying to hijack your thread but I have to ask. Jimmy what camera are you using there? Those are some fine pictures and a dandy goat to boot.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Quote Originally Posted by keelermk View Post
    Sorry Kay9 not trying to hijack your thread but I have to ask. Jimmy what camera are you using there? Those are some fine pictures and a dandy goat to boot.

It is a Sony F707. At the time of purchase, it was the top of the line prosumer camera....now quite dated. Still a great camera, but I'm finally in the market for a new one.

Here is a link to the specs...
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ny_dscf707.asp

I took this one Labor Day weekend a couple years back. The hair isn't as long as Jim's but the days are longer and the weather is usually better.

Nice pictures so far. TB, do you have a picture of the mount or maybe another one that shows the beard better?

Shot August 10th on the Kenai Peninsula.

Default Hair length

I know it may vary here in Alaska, but I spoke to a biologist in Montana before hunting goats and asked the same question. According to him, the goats can grow an inch of hair per week starting in late September/early October.
    This goat (if the picture comes through) was taken in August by my hunting partner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ummm whats with the second pic...something differnt just couldn't place it.....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ummm whats with the second pic...something differnt just couldn't place it.....lol
    Looks like a Yetti in the area. No offense and all fun intended. LOL
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default Cordova goats

My understanding is that Cordova goats don't grow in much until winter. If you want a long haired goat, you might try hitting it right now. Some of those RGs may still be open, but I haven't checked. I have no idea how you'd hunt it, but that's how it is.
    Weather in the Sounds in Oct was horrible? Who would have guessed that? I made my trip Sept 15, and I got VERY lucky on weather. I was out there for four days and didn't get a drop of rain.
    I'd go early, unless you'd like a good chance of a four day trip to the Reluctant or the Alaskan.

Smile Yea...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    No kidding....I didn't know it was "that kind" of goat "hunting trip"...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Steve View Post
    My understanding is that Cordova goats don't grow in much until winter. If you want a long haired goat, you might try hitting it right now. Some of those RGs may still be open, but I haven't checked. I have no idea how you'd hunt it, but that's how it is.
    Weather in the Sounds in Oct was horrible? Who would have guessed that? I made my trip Sept 15, and I got VERY lucky on weather. I was out there for four days and didn't get a drop of rain.
    I'd go early, unless you'd like a good chance of a four day trip to the Reluctant or the Alaskan.
    I'm not looking for a goat with hair as long as Jimmy's (mid-Oct) but nothing as short as Kusko's (mid-Aug). That's where I was hoping the pictures would help me decide how early I can go and still get the trophy I'm looking for.

I went the first week of Oct in '06 and ended up spending 7 days in hotels, mostly the Reluctant Fisherman, because of the flooding in Cordova. I was told '06 was the worst year they've seen for weather, but as you mention the weather will never be great there during that time of year.

This was a late september goat that I was a packer for back in '96. Shot near Cordova. Unlike alot of big game photos, the hunter was not sitting back away from the animal to make it look larger. Really nice billy. I think 10" if I remember right. All I know is that it was a heavy freakin pack coming down.

Thanks, dk. That's the picture I was looking for to help me decide. Looks like late September it will be for me.

Default Mount

Jimmy,

That's an amazing trophy. Who did your taxidermy? I want mine to look just like that!

David

Quote Originally Posted by AKFloats View Post
    Jimmy,

That's an amazing trophy. Who did your taxidermy? I want mine to look just like that!

David
    Thanks David. Rich Hamilton of Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole is largely responsible for the beauty of the trophy. He does phenomonal work.

Thumbs up October Juneau Goat

Here is a Goat I put my buddy on, He was amazing with 10 1/2" horns that had broken off tips. Not bad for his first one.

Ill try the picture one more time.
    Last edited by muledeer; 02-08-2007 at 07:12. Reason: no picture attached

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast