Thread: Petersburg AK

Default Petersburg AK

I'm heading up to Petersburg this May for a black bear hunt. I'm getting excited, hunting Alaska has been a dream of mine for the last few years. I really want a bullwinkle but I guess a black bear is going to have to do for my first hunt. I'm hoping to get transfered up to your State so I can do even more hunting and fishing.

I'll be using my .30-06 on this hunt just because it is my only all weather gun I own. I'd really like to use my .35 Whelen though but it is a little too pretty to be exposing to all that salt water and rain. Any help I can get about the Petersburg area, gear, and weather would be a great help.

Thanks in advance.

Taylorce1, I live and work in Petersburg. Where do you plan on hunting? How do you plan on getting where you are going? If you are hunting Mitkof you need a vehicle. All other islands, and mainland, you need a boat and maybe a vehicle. Kuiu has the largest bear populaiton but you need either a plane ride to a cabin or work off of a charter. Email me if you want more info. Jim

Thanks jdb3 pm sent.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Good luck on your hunt Chad and hope you enjoy that Loopy 2.5X8.

Thanks Allen, they are great scopes if you would have had a 1.75-6 I would have jumped all over that one first. I have the 2.5-8 on my .338-06 and the 1.75-6 on my .35 Whelen. I'll definatly ask you first before I go get another new Loopy for my .25-06 when it is finished, your prices even with shipping are the best I've found by far.

Default kuiu

Jim, I would love more info on KUIU hunt but didn't see how to e-mail you. Could you tell me any info you have thanks. Hank