Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks Highway Roll-Up

Default Parks Highway Roll-Up

Didn't hit them all but did hit several...here is the report:

Byers: Fish are in...saw silvers/pinks mixed and running upstream

Troublesome: Water is low and fish are in.

Sunshine: Plugged with fish...no problem with limit here. Threw green Mepps #4 at first light. Action tapered off and people showed up after 0700. Total silvers caught: 12

Montana: Lots of pinks/chum caught one day, less fish caught the next as water went down. Both days saw Montana Creek water nice and clear. Most productive lure was pink #5 Mepps. Totals: Pinks/chums, 50ish; Silvers, 3.

Sheep: Sporadic action...water a little muddier than ususal. Limits of silvers being taken. Lots of folks drifting roe. Reported productive lures were #5 Blue Vibrax. I didn't catch a thing on one...switched to mepps and caught fish. Totals for one hour fishing: 4 Chum, 2 Silvers.

Goose: Plugged with pinks and a few chums mixed in. Walked all the way to the mouth. Caught fish at the rocks, the gravel bar, and the mouth. BEWARE OF BEARS...had a salmon head that was very obviously forceably removed appear in the trail on the way out...it wasn't there on the way in. Kept my hand on my 329PD for a while...Caught fish on mepps #4 and drifting flies russian river style. Totals: pinks, 20ish, chum 6.

Caswell: What a blast! This is a serious morning fishery, tho. Action tapers off after 0800 for sure...becomes sporadic. Fished two mornings 0430 - 0800 and cleaned house. Fish started biting at about 0515 both days. Lure of choice was #4 Mepps green with silver blade. Teenage fella fishing beside us threw everything he had in the box and we outcaught him 10 to 1....felt kinda bad and offered him our spot/lures. He finally caught his fish. The blue vibrax wasn't working so hot but it did catch him one. Other day same thing...others would catch a few but not at the rate of the #4 Mepps, even after we traded spots with folks just trying to get a limit. The "magic spot" seemed to be wherever we threw our lures. Totals: Silvers, 27.

Tired...had a blast tho. Met some nice people and some extremely rude ones at Montana that parked themselves EXACTLY where we were casting...I've been corked before but that took the prize. We were forced out of our productive spot after it was ruined by people STANDING IN IT.

We also picked up several bags of trash over the duration of the trip...bring a bag in with you and pack out some garbage. Like some have pointed out in another thread, it's pretty obvious that I'm military and I'm sure that folks witnessed "some military guys" picking up trash at various locations. This military guy is a born and raised Alaskan as well...

Good luck, fish are in throughout the valley!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Sounds like an awesome trip EOD. I was up at a few of the parks streams last friday and saturday and did well also. From one AF member to another, I thank you for pinking up some trash and trying to improve our image. I've seen some negative sentiment on here about military members destroying Alaska. Hopefully your actions will help that a little!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Great report EOD..Good hearing the fish are running heavy in several locations..

I had two guys with me from Georgia who were up TDY...they had a blast! You should have seen their faces when we found that salmon head on the trail at Goose Creek, lol...

They commented on all of the nice people we met, and scratched their heads in amazement as I explained combat fishing etiquette following the "corkers" at Montana.

They were a little suprised at the trash...they had an image of Alaska in their heads that may have been somewhat unrealistic for every square inch of the state. They got right in there and helped me police up every area we stopped at, wearing our gortex ABU pattern jackets and making no effort to disguise who we were.

Glad you had a good trip as well Raptor! Sounds like fishing is all-around good.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    I had two guys with me from Georgia who were up TDY...they had a blast! You should have seen their faces when we found that salmon head on the trail at Goose Creek, lol...

They commented on all of the nice people we met, and scratched their heads in amazement as I explained combat fishing etiquette following the "corkers" at Montana.

They were a little suprised at the trash...they had an image of Alaska in their heads that may have been somewhat unrealistic for every square inch of the state. They got right in there and helped me police up every area we stopped at, wearing our gortex ABU pattern jackets and making no effort to disguise who we were.

Glad you had a good trip as well Raptor! Sounds like fishing is all-around good.
    Glad they had a blast and you got them on some fish. You think the look on their face was funny when they saw the fish head, you shoulda seen mine when I walked up on my first bear at the Russian (no more that 2' away from me). I think a lot of people have that image of Alaska though. I know it was certainly eye opener when I PCS'd up here in '08. Yes combat fishing is a trial by fire and an interesting concept to people that have never experienced it!

I have that some gortex jacket (I think we all do) and I wear mine once in a while out there too. I met a retired Lt. Col. on the hike in to the Russian falls one morning, one of the best conversations I ever had. Thanked us for our service (and we thanked him) and we chatted the whole way about our service histories and what we thought about the service then and now. Great guy, wish I woulda got his name.

BTW, helova job you EOD guys have! Sadly, when I was at Balad in '07, there were a few EOD guys that were KIA. My first taste of the grivity of war. Thanks for keeping those routes cleared!

Nice report... Thanks for all the great info.. may have to wander up Parks for the last weekend of fishing for me...

looks like I need a #4 green mepps

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Nice report... Thanks for all the great info.. may have to wander up Parks for the last weekend of fishing for me...

looks like I need a #4 green mepps
    If you're a fly guy, take some beads too. Bows and grayling were eatin' good!

Appreciate the report EOD. Sounds like you had a blast!

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Montana Corkers, I had the same problem. After pulling out more chums and pinks than I could count people go and stand in the water right in the hole you are fishing. It is at this point I think about Carlos Mencia DAA TAA DAA...........Then I leave.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    Montana Corkers, I had the same problem. After pulling out more chums and pinks than I could count people go and stand in the water right in the hole you are fishing. It is at this point I think about Carlos Mencia DAA TAA DAA...........Then I leave.
    LOL that is to funny, some people just don't realize..............if some one does that crap to me I just go stand in front of them until the get the hint, and since I am a fly guy it doesn't take to long for them to leave.

what kind of mepps was it you where using?

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post

thanks for picking up the trash, thanks for the sitrep on the fish, sorry those guys jacked your hole, some people!!!!!!!!!!
    By the way do you have a death wish??????

I was on the fly and since they where to afraid to walk behind me for the fear of getting whipped and snagged by the fly line. They comence to stand accross from me in the water it is funny at times especialy when you are putting on a clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I was on the fly and since they where to afraid to walk behind me for the fear of getting whipped and snagged by the fly line. They comence to stand accross from me in the water it is funny at times especialy when you are putting on a clinic.
    I know right? If people would take a few extra seconds and watch the water and use glasses they would see there is fish every were and they don't need to stand in the middle of the river or cast to the other bank to catch fish right now. jacking some ones hole isn't going to get you fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    I know right? If people would take a few extra seconds and watch the water and use glasses they would see there is fish every were and they don't need to stand in the middle of the river or cast to the other bank to catch fish right now. jacking some ones hole isn't going to get you fish.
    Unless you are me! Then I will just snag you fish you've already caught and call it mine! Or catch your flyline and screw up your drift, or cast over your line! haha.

Thumbs up Good Job!

Great report!! Sounds like you were productive!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Unless you are me! Then I will just snag you fish you've already caught and call it mine! Or catch your flyline and screw up your drift, or cast over your line! haha.
    i know right and its all in the video.........busted Ryan!

Anybody have a report for willow those who walk upstream..

willow report anyone?

Sorry...didn't make it to Willow but some of the folks that I spoke to along the way mentioned the action there to be kind of similar to the other spots. Put your time in and it pays off, but not red-hot. Coming from the north like I do, that construction kind of sets up a barrier that I don't want to cross if I don't have to. Too bad...I like Willow Ck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast