Thread: Halibut?

Default Halibut?

Was it just the boats I fished from or were the halibut small and hard to find (7/26 to 8/4)?
    Wife & I went on two halibut charters. Did limit both days, but came home with only a small amount of filets (57#) to show for it. Two years ago only able to take one trip and came home with 49# of filets. On both trips this year, had to move the boat twice to find halibut of any size (> 10#). Wife had fun (LOL!) catching grey cod and dogfish though (about 10).

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    Was it just the boats I fished from or were the halibut small and hard to find (7/26 to 8/4)?
    Wife & I went on two halibut charters. Did limit both days, but came home with only a small amount of filets (57#) to show for it. Two years ago only able to take one trip and came home with 49# of filets. On both trips this year, had to move the boat twice to find halibut of any size (> 10#). Wife had fun (LOL!) catching grey cod and dogfish though (about 10).
    Where were you fishing? I'd say it was just the boats you were fishing on if you were fishing anywhere near Homer in those days. I caught some nice halibut out of Homer during that period. If you only moved the boat twice during those times you need to find a new captain.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

That's the exact reason it's called Fishing not Catching

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I actually had my two best trips of the year during that period. I fish my own boat out of Seward, and on both trips, I didn't have to move around at all. Sometimes you get 'em, sometimes you don't...all you can do is keep trying!

Just an example, but we got these on Aug. 1st:

Butt and coho.jpg

The one in the middle was 55 lbs. and I was less than an hour from the end of the Spit.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

Butt and coho.jpg

The one in the middle was 55 lbs. and I was less than an hour from the end of the Spit.
    out of those twelve halibut how many pounds of filets do you think that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post

Butt and coho.jpg

The one in the middle is nice fish Mutley, but the rest look like they are in the 12-17 lbs range.

I'm not sure about the hard to find comment, but the size thing has been a issue for me out of Seward this year. Two charter guys I know out of Seward who have both fished out of the area for a long time and are mentioned a lot on this site were discussing how small the halibut were this year too. The said they speaking with a NOAA guy and he reconfirmed the commercial guys where seeing the same. I've caught less fish this year under a 100 lbs. then I have in the 5 years.
    Boatless

I am glad you guys had fun and brought some a bunch of fish. With that said, I almost never move my boat more than twice during one day of halibut fishing. As a matter of fact, the five boats that run from our office almost never move more than twice. Ironically these five boats have also swept the Seward Halibut Jackpot Tournament for the last two years - 1st through 4th place - both years.....go figure?
    When you are moving around your bait is not in the water, where the halibut are.
    With that said, We have all had days where the second move is to a chicken patch where there are some 15 pound chickens that would result in not bringing that much fish home.

There are plenty of small chickens that get caught every single day, in every port, sooner or later on EVERY charter boat, no matter who they are..... Like the other guy said, it is all part of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    The one in the middle is nice fish Mutley, but the rest look like they are in the 12-17 lbs range.

I'm not sure about the hard to find comment, but the size thing has been a issue for me out of Seward this year. Two charter guys I know out of Seward who have both fished out of the area for a long time and are mentioned a lot on this site were discussing how small the halibut were this year too. The said they speaking with a NOAA guy and he reconfirmed the commercial guys where seeing the same. I've caught less fish this year under a 100 lbs. then I have in the 5 years.
    Nope, the others are all about 15 or bigger. And I'm fishing pretty close in, like less than an hour from the Spit. I caught a 66 pounder and a 46 pounder the other day

within about half an hour of the end of the Spit. If you want to devote the time there are some nice fish out there. But you can't expect to go out and just catch a lot of big fish consistently anywhere that I know of unless you feel like running a few hours. And "nice fish" is a pretty subjective measurement. If I put twelve 20-30 lb. fish in the boat in a day I think I have 12 pretty nice fish as do most of the people I take out.

As for the number of pounds of fillets with an average size of about 18 lbs. and one that's 55 I'd say maybe about 125 lbs. of fillets.

I wish I consistently catch Halibut close to Seward like that. I've never really explored your site much, but your fishing videos are great! I can't imagine how you can stand the excitement of watching fish come up after the bait, the suspense would kill me. How often do you see kings in the camera and don't take your bait?
    Boatless

I wish I consistently catch Halibut close to Seward like that. I've never really explored your site much, but your fishing videos are great! I can't imagine how you can stand the excitement of watching fish come up after the bait, the suspense would kill me. How often do you see kings in the camera and don't take your bait?
    Yeah, it is pretty cool. When I first started using the cameras I lost a lot of fish to grabbing the rod before they actually had a chance to grab the bait.

I don't see kings now because I discovered last winter that they are very camera shy. I would be trolling near other boats that I could see were catching fish and I'd be seeing kings swim up, follow my bait for a few seconds and then swim away. So I tried fishing without my camera and not more than half an hour later I caught a king. My theory is that those kings are just a lot more cautious than silvers. Feeder kings are out there trying to survive and apparently the camera just doesn't look right to them. Silvers are a lot more aggressive and "careless" and don't seem to mind the camera. And as you can see actually seem curious about it. I'll be putting my camera back on tomorrow and will hopefully have more new videos to post soon.

You would catch halibut like that close to home if you fished half as hard 18 to 24 miles from Seward as you do when you are 60 - 80 miles down the coast.

The best guys on your dock have been making a living fishing "the usual areas" I have described on here in the past. all summer long Just takes some patience. You have to stick it out until they bite. It might take a few hours. Hard to do when you can cruise at 40 knots but it pays off, almost every time. The key is to fish close to home when the weather is decent, not just when the wind makes it too rough to fish anywhere else. That way you can get a nice calm sit, all day long.

Thanks for the replies. Just able to get back online- had to do the 'work' thing to finance my 'passion' thing- FISHING!
    To answer MUTTLEY- we were fishing from Deep Creek about 25 to 30 miles out generally. We had a trip planned out of Homer "ON THE ROCKS", but it was cancelled the day before because 40mph winds & high seas were expected (7/30). I mentioned the number of moves because in the past seven trips we NEVER made a move and had great luck. We did use two differant captains than usual this year. Our preferred captain was already booked solid for the first date (we waited too long before trying to book) and had moved his boat to Seward by the second day.
    To PIRANHA- That's the exact reason it's called Fishing not Catching. Totally agree my friend. Just making a general observation about a change from years past.

Andy, Yeah I do need to do do a little more home work closer to home, but love going out for those long trips. I got it figured out pretty well out east and learn of something new almost every time out west. Most private boaters only get to go out on the weekends, so I like to make the most of what little time we get fish.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by nuprofessor View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Just able to get back online- had to do the 'work' thing to finance my 'passion' thing- FISHING!
    To answer MUTTLEY- we were fishing from Deep Creek about 25 to 30 miles out generally. We had a trip planned out of Homer "ON THE ROCKS", but it was cancelled the day before because 40mph winds & high seas were expected (7/30). I mentioned the number of moves because in the past seven trips we NEVER made a move and had great luck. We did use two differant captains than usual this year. Our preferred captain was already booked solid for the first date (we waited too long before trying to book) and had moved his boat to Seward by the second day.
    To PIRANHA- That's the exact reason it's called Fishing not Catching. Totally agree my friend. Just making a general observation about a change from years past.
    Hmmm. July 30th? I was out at a couple of my favorite spots that day about 12 miles out and this is what we got:

The smallest one there is 19 lbs. and the big one in the center is 40. It only took us about 2 hours to get them, too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MUTTLEY- YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!
    I need to come fish with you sometime. Of the fish I have personally seen caught (on the same boat), the largest was a 42#. I would love to bring in a 50- 60#er myself. Guess I just don't hold my mouth right.
    Wife & I have already put in the request for 2011 at our other spot. But if that does not work out, I may be sending a PM, email, smoke signal, flare, SOMETHING your way for a trip.
    Thanks, Mike