Thread: Back From Alaska

Default Back From Alaska

Wife & I got back from Alaska Sunday afternoon (8/8). Fishing was hit and miss.
    Lower Kenai Kings- total one hit for both of us in two full days. Others in boat (two each day) only one other hit (landed= 50#). Did not see many others caught.
    FlyOut to Wolverine Creek- Six Silvers.
    Upper Kenai- Four days of fishing. No Rainbows, three Dollies, but several Sockeye (most were too red). Was able to keep 14 though.

TOTAL of 92# of salmon filets (Red & Silver).

When the weather cools (ALOT!!!), plan to fire up the Smoker and put some on. Temperature today was 97 degrees, 70+% humidity, & heat index of 109! More of the same called for over the next week or more.

BOY, DO I MISS ALASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishing the last week of July was really hot on the lower Kenai. Then sharply fell off when the commercial fishing and dip netting was expanded.

Glad to hear you got into some Silvers out at Wolverine Creek!

Jon9904,
    We did fish Kenai the last week of July (26th & 28th). As mentioned, King action was pitiful compared to the six previous fishing trip we had over the years. Atleast we had multiple hits, just not able to land them.

Bummer, I guess some action is better than none, right I hope your weather cools down a bit so you can run the smoker! Hopefully the fishing will be more consistent next year.

The king fishing was HOT on the Kasilof though.

Me and a buddy are fishing the lower Kenai this weekend and Monday/ Tues morning.

We are trying to catch fish from the bank. Any suggestions? Thinking we should try eggs under bobbers. Tried them on the bottom this morning an didn't have any luck. Going to the bridge in Soldatna to try spinners this afternoon then eggs again till dark.

Any ideas of where to catch silvers would be welcome. At this point I think we would be thrilled to get into the pinks!

Cunningham park on the lower river and Centennial Park in Town. You may want to consider a trip out to the Swanson River.