Thread: Pistol Pete's Flys???

Default Pistol Pete's Flys???

Found a set at Walmart while I was picking up replacement ESL's, Clips and Swivels...

basicly they are big flys commonly used for Salmon , ESL, Wooly bugger, Russian River, Green Flasher... but have a little propeller blade on the front that makes noise a' la Vibrax. They are a little heavier than most flies so should toss well with a spinning rod...

picked up a set on a whim to try out but was wondering if anyone else here has seen or used them... they weren't exactly cheap... and it is WALMART... so I'm a little suspicious. If I've just wasted money I can still return the box unoppened.

anyone have any thoughts or have tried them out???

I was hugely successful with then in Colorado before I moved up here. They were easy to tie and fished really really well in lakes too. That being said, they were mostly successful on aggressive brook trout and the rainbows the state stocked to keep people entertained. I don't see why they wouldn't work well up here, I just haven't used them much yet.

I have a box of those my dad picked up, but never used. I'd love to hear how people did with them.

I haved used them on the Gulkana with success for both Grayling and bows. this was last labor day weekend.

Well vibrax and Eggs were screwed up by the hogline standing in the fish so I decided to eat the cost and try them out...

again nothing else was working but the pistol petes were not a majic bullet. Probably would work better in clearer water.

as it was eggs were needed to get my second.

They work good in swift clear water streams
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I'm sure I'll find a use for them I did find them easier to flip out with a spinning reel than most flies I've tried...

gonna have to learn to fly fish one of these days.