Thread: Fairbanks Archery Moose Season

Default Fairbanks Archery Moose Season

Seeing a couple bulls already down and being envious of the velvet racks got me thinking about something. I know we have one of the longest moose seasons in the state in the FMA, but why doesn't it start August 10th like south central?

Has this been proposed to Fish and Game in the past? Would you be for, against or neutral to the earlier season start date?

Does south central have early archery/late rifle hunts to justify the August season?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not sure Jerod, i think it has some to do with the temps here still. like today the sun broke out and it is nearly 70 again and growing warmer... My FMA tag starts the first.... i can wait till then.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Im not saying I would oppose an earlier hunt, but Im not going to raise a ruccus to get it changed either. I have seen a nice bull this week while out grouse hunting and would have loved to have been able to put a stalk on him. The bull also didnt seem to give a crap about the calls I was offering to see how he would react( maybe im just that bad of a caller). Well, I just hope he is there come september first so he can be on the table shortly there after.

honestly I'd be suprised if they didnt open it earlier. The hole point of the FMA is to reduce the number of animals in the immediate vicinity of town. They extended the cow hunt to help with this, why wouldnt they do it with the bulls also?!?!?!

But I have to ask, havent they done good enough? I honestly cant remember the last bull I've seen in the FMA, didnt see 1 antlered moose last sept and I put some miles on the boots truck and glass's checking places out. At what point do we try and KEEP it a 'hunt'? I dont know when it happened but I fell into that 90perecnt group. It aint like shot a ton of animals from the FMA, but out of the small group of us, we were always on bulls. Now, none of us are on bulls.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    honestly I'd be suprised if they didnt open it earlier. The hole point of the FMA is to reduce the number of animals in the immediate vicinity of town. They extended the cow hunt to help with this, why wouldnt they do it with the bulls also?!?!?!

But I have to ask, havent they done good enough? I honestly cant remember the last bull I've seen in the FMA, didnt see 1 antlered moose last sept and I put some miles on the boots truck and glass's checking places out. At what point do we try and KEEP it a 'hunt'? I dont know when it happened but I fell into that 90perecnt group. It aint like shot a ton of animals from the FMA, but out of the small group of us, we were always on bulls. Now, none of us are on bulls.
    man ya gotta get out more we have seen 6 this last week already and nearly 12 cows... last year i know of at least 4 that harvested on moose it put them on...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I must be on the wrong side of town lol. Along with the rest of us... I see more moose outside of the fam then in it anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    I must be on the wrong side of town lol. Along with the rest of us... I see more moose outside of the fam then in it anymore!
    yeah i never see any over by the NOPO HOHO!

meet on face book here

We've seen at least 8 cows (2 w/ calves) in our little slice of NoPo. Wish I had been a resident in time to get in for the draw! Next year! :-)

Not questioning what y'all have seen...

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    We've seen at least 8 cows (2 w/ calves) in our little slice of NoPo. Wish I had been a resident in time to get in for the draw! Next year! :-)

Not questioning what y'all have seen...
    MOOSE, Steve, MOOSE!.... locals don't count

meet on face book here

lmao...terrible Vince...just terrible

Bahahahahahaa.
    I'll have to buy a new keyboard for work now.

If I remember correctly, this has been suggested before through the Advisory Committee process. The opposition was due to kids activities at the soccer fields, Princess busses bird watching at Creamer's, etc. And I'm not the opposition either....
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"