Thread: Need Advice On Gear to Bring for Upcoming Caribou Hunt...

Default Need Advice On Gear to Bring for Upcoming Caribou Hunt...

I am heading to AK to do a drop-camp DIY caribou hunt for the first time next month and would like some input on whether to bring hip boots or pant style waders. Also, ankle tight or not? And what are your opinions of the Gore-Tex pant-style waders?

I am also looking for to buy new Binocs and a spotting scope before we go. Any good advice would be appreciated.

Any feedback on the new Leupold Kenai High Definition Spotting Scope? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

Thanks!

It might help to know the area you are going to do your hunt in to get some good advice.

What area of the state will you be hunting?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Vortex 10x42 bino's, very nice glass and keep some money in your pocket. Leave the spotting scope at home, you'll be able to see everything through your binos, and less stuff to carry. Last year my guide wore breathable waders all week, and said that he had done so for several years. I'm headed up on Aug 28 for a DIY Caribou hunt also and am taking breathable waders.

Where are you headed and who are you flying with? Have you made arrangements to get meat and horns back? We're still trying to figure that stuff out.

We're flying with Mike McCrary out of Happy Valley.

Be sure to post a report. Good luck!

I agree with Bucks, leave your spotting scope at home, or if you really want to take one, make sure its light. As the others have asked, it helps to give a general location of where you are hunting. If its on the ridges, I probably wouldn't worry much about hippers. If you are going through the tundra and will be walking through the muck, then by all means bring the breathable waders, paired with a good boot that will give you some support.

I don't have any experience with the new Leupold scope, but I am sure it is nice. But the weight! That thing is a beast at almost 4 lbs without the tripod.

Good luck and let us know how things went.

Moose44

Wach caribou hunting gear list

5200 cu/in backpack
    3-double bull waterproof compression bags for in pack
    rifle 300 wsm
    rifle case (hardcase and soft case)
    1 box shells
    helly hanson rain gear – jacket/pant-
    berber vest
    north face down jacket
    mountain hardwear windblocker jacket
    mountain hardwear windblocker pant
    barneys sp3 mountain pant
    3-coolmax underwear
    2-coolmax short sleeve tee shirt
    2-polypro long sleeve undershirt
    mountain hardwear windstopper stocking cap
    baseball hat
    suspenders
    mendle leather hiking boots waterproofed
    3-pair hiking socks
    3-pair sock liners
    sealskin socks
    water proof neopream gloves with liners – a must!!!
    Extra glove liners
    handkercheif
    2 – 32 oz nalgene water bottles (empty)
    2- headlamps/ extra batteries
    two knifes and knife sharpener-small one
    parachut cord 100 feet
    first aid kit
    space survival sleeping bag
    rubber latex golves
    toilet paper
    large sewing needle w/ dental floss to repair packs if needed
    mole skin
    baby wipes
    gators
    digital camera
    camcorder
    cabela’s boundary waters x-large waterproof dry duffle bag,
    toiletries-mirror-bandaids-toolbrushand paste-aspirin, etc.
    4- heavy duty plastic 30 gallon garbage bags
    hiking staffs, they turn into a bipod for shooting
    8 x 42 nikon monarch binoculars
    bushnell rangefinder
    bushnell spotting scope with tripod
    electrical tape
    duct tape
    flaging tape
    water purifier
    ear plugs
    small sewing kit
    2- 8x10 blue tarps, for under tents

gear list:

4 person tent
    2 person tent as a gear tent
    extra tent stakes
    1 claspable 5 gal water jugs
    bone saw
    25 pounds salt
    1 gallon white gas
    black diamond lantern
    fire pit cooking grate
    pop-up caribou – weighs 1 pound
    cook kit and frying pan
    2 - msr whisperlight stove
    2- stove fuel pumps
    fuel funnel
    msr stove repair kit
    2-msr fuel bottles-
    1 plastic bowl
    fork and spoon set
    insulated cup
    roll a table
    camp chair
    zero reated sleeping bag
    2 inch holllow core sleeping pad
    1 small emergency candle
    e-tool (folding shovel)
    camp ax
    1 - mesh small stuff sacks
    premeim game bags
    2 pillow cases
    small spray bottle
    citric acid mix
    wrist watch
    gps unit
    food: 8 days worth
    4 packs oatmeal
    4 packs grits
    6 - mountain house dinners
    8 -power bars
    2 packs jerky
    ice tea mix, poweraide, tea,
    6 - ramon noodles
    2 packages of foil chicken
    2 packages of instant eggs
    2 packages trial mix
    1 can spam
    scrubby pad
    dish soap
    breadcrumbs
    pancake mix and maple surup
    olive oil
    butter
    salt/pepper/seasoning for caribou tenderloins
    aluminum foil

ankle fit hip boots. Protect you from wet grass and brush, breath in the important areas keeping you drier and more comfortable, and with ankle fit you can hike for miles and miles pretty nicely.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thanks for the help so far. We are using Sportsmans Air Service and flying out of Galena. Out in the Tundra. Sounds like I should just leave the spotting scope at home. Any other opinions on Binocs or Waders?

Also, anyone used Sportsmans Air Service before?

Thanks again!

I will look into those Binocs.

We are flying out of Galena with Sportsman's Air service.

Not positive about the meat and antlers yet. Our outfitter recommended sending our hides to Alpha Fur and they will freeze 50 lbs of meat in a box for us to take back on the plane as a checked bag.

On my trip in 2006, I carried a Nixon XL Spotter and a pair of Swaro 10x42 SLCs. Hip boots were LaCrosse ankle fit. Next time, unless it's going to be extremely flat, I'd probably just take a really good pair of hiking boots, like the Lowa Hunter GTX, with overshoes for wading creeks. Also, if money was not a problem, I take a pair of Swaro 10x30 ELs, then maybe a 12-40x60 Leupold spotting scope. I really like having a spotting scope in Alaska, because most animals you see are waaayyy out there most times. Also, you might not need the big objectives that you might hunting whitetails or elk. The spotting scope you were looking at is much too heavy - unless you were trying to just sheep, and then I'd want even higher quality glass. My old Nikon and 10x42s will be back on the Kenai trying to help me find a black bear Labor Day week.

hello,i live in galena let me know if you need any help with anything,joes a great pilot he will put you on the bou,,craig

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachallenge@yahoo.com View Post
    hello,i live in galena let me know if you need any help with anything,joes a great pilot he will put you on the bou,,craig
    Thanks, I'm getting pretty excited for our trip so that's great to hear. If I think of any questions for you closer to the date I will let you know.

Camofire has Vortex binos on sale right now.

I am planning for a drop hunt this year as well. I wish there was a gear list thread for this like the gear list thread for sheep hunting. I have been scouring that one for info for a while. The hard part is choosing "which" pack and "which" pants . . . The 70 lbs limit on my gear will be a test as well. It seems that I have always overpacked.
    I have a lot of the gear that I will need already, just trying to decide if I should upgrade or not. I have several old packframes, nothing fancy but they work for elk, they should work for caribou. Looking forward to more gear lists.

Quote Originally Posted by IMRICH View Post
    I am planning for a drop hunt this year as well. I wish there was a gear list thread for this like the gear list thread for sheep hunting. I have been scouring that one for info for a while. The hard part is choosing "which" pack and "which" pants . . . The 70 lbs limit on my gear will be a test as well. It seems that I have always overpacked.
    I have a lot of the gear that I will need already, just trying to decide if I should upgrade or not. I have several old packframes, nothing fancy but they work for elk, they should work for caribou. Looking forward to more gear lists.
    If you have a pack you like mose for hauling your els, it will work fine for hauling caribou. Does the 70 pounds include your rifle, or is the limit 70 pounds plus rifle?

If you give me your email address, I'll email you a generic gear list that's a good starter list for you to tweak and customize to your own needs, I've tweaked it based on 6 remote hunts over the past decade.

Michael

I have found that each hunt I need less. My first trip to Alaska I probably was close to 200 lbs of gear,etc. Each trip I leave a couple more things at home that I thought I needed. I personnaly could probably last a week on less than 40 lbs now. If in doubt, take it and pay extra as your life may depend on it!

The 70 lbs gear limit is without rifle.