Thread: .22 accuracy

Default .22 accuracy

I spent a little time playing with a 22 rifle ( Rem 741 - Simmons scope 3 x 9 ) this past weekend and I thought it might be good to pass some info on to others that enjoy shooting the 22LR and may not realize it may be simple to make it a great shooter... We seem to play endlessly with the big guns looking for perfection - yet forget the basics with 22's.
    Many don't really get the most out of their 22's as far as accuracy and it can be as simple as trying a few brands of ammo. This day I had 3 types to play with.
    1. Remington Thunderbolts /50 yds/best I could get about 1.5 - 1.75in groups 5 shots
    2. Winchester HP High Speed - 50 yds /4 to 5in groups - yikes!
    3. Winchester target ammo - 40 gn round nose - 5 shots - .5in groups!
    If you have a 22 don't just grab the "bargain brand" ammo and assume thats the best your gun will shoot - sometimes it is, but if you want a load to shoot heads off grouse than take a look at the slower target loads by several mfg's and you may get a real pleasant surprise from your "pop gun" !
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

There is quite a big rimfire following here on the island; plate matches, benchrest, "tactical" 2 gun etc. 22s can be extremely accurate, huge fun and cheap. I have had a lot of success (accuracy wise) with the "off the shelf" CCI minimags, especially the hollow points. And as for bargain bunny medicine. I bought my kid a mossberg 702 plinkster - it was so cheap ($80 with rebate) that I just threw it in when I bought something for myself.
    It is a darn tack driver and 100% reliable with everything we feed it. Only 10rd mags (no "hi-caps") available and no dress-up kit a-la 10/22. But for a plinking, bunny and ptarmigam gun, that gets thrown in the truck and dragged around Kodiak backcountry it can't be beat.
    Put a $20 Walmart BSA 4x scope on it and golf balls at 50yds go flying! $100 of pure fun.

Interesting thread and timely.

A couple of months ago I was asked to shoot in a USBR 50 meter match in Montezuma Ia (Home of Brownell's inc who was event sponsor). Ray at Midwest Firearms was in the coaxing and he offered me a brand new Ruger 10/22 target rifle and a 6x24 power scope to put on it. I got the gun friday morning, zeroed it in friday afternoon and shot the match the next day.

It's funny because I don't even remember without looking it up what the score was however I received an email the next day saying that I had shot the second highest score to date(at that time) in the nation this year. What I do remember was the composite group size was 3/8 of an inch for a 25 shot string with several X's.

This was the first time that I had done any serious shooting with a 22 in years. I have to admit that it rekindled my love for the 22. I recently bought a Remington 597 to play with and am looking real hard at a 597VTR to go with it. I don't plan to shoot any more matches....to many eyes watching for my taste, besides I have nothing to prove to anyone but the squirrels.

There is a lot to what your saying concerning matching ammo to the gun and I wonder how many 22s I got rid of in my younger day because they didn't like Thunderbolts when they probably would have been fine with some different ammo.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My boy has a 597 that has been giving us fits as far as not shooting consistant tight groups. It seems to wander around the target a bit. I had a cheapie BSA 4X scope on it, so I replaced it last night thinking it could very well be a scope problem...but perhaps it's an ammo issue. Huh, I really hadn't considered that. My 10/22 drives tacks no matter what I send through it, but looks like I will be doing a bit of experimenting with the 597.

Try some of the less expensive (relative term) eley match ammo, my 10/22 w/ clark barrel shoots very well with it. 22 ammo definately makes a difference!

As far as a gun with wandering groups, it could be a loose barrel, or a sloppy chamber. Not all 22's are capable of guilt edge accuracy.

My old Remington 513T with 4X JC Higgins Scope gets about 4 inch groups (10 shots)with Federal 22 ammo at 100 yards but I have to use Kentucky windage if I want to cluster around the Bullseye. Its got a mushy trigger and I didn't think that it was that great.

Wind messes up groups at 100 yards.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Over the years I have found most 22's will improve greatly in accuracy with the slower loads. The hyper velocity stuff just does not seem to stabilize as easy for sure. I said the rem I shot was a 741 - its a 541S - pretty little gun with a rosewood end cap. It has killed many squirrels and rabbits and my go to load was always Ely 22 shorts. At 30 yards you could make a neet 1 hole group all day long. I have a rem 597 that shoots pretty good but trigger is not the smoothest for sure. Its a plinker! I have the same gun in 22 mag and it shoots very well out to about 75 yards.
    Funny how we always look at the triggers, barrels, scopes etc with 22's and yet my experience has taught me to test several types of ammo before I give up on improving the little guns accuracy!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

The best barrels (Hart, Shilen and Lilja), and the Eley ammo are capable of astonishing accuracy according to the folks at Rimfire Central.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have a 597 that is a tack driver...

My FIL has a couple .22's that he uses to practice for his BPCR matches. During the summer on a visit we went out to the range in Butte MT. their range has setup miniature targets simiulating the silos - set them at:

Chickens = 50 yards
    turkeys = 100 yards
    Pigs = 150 yards
    Rams = 200 yards

It was fun pickin miniature pigs off at 150 yards using his sharps look-a-like .22's......not much reloading or bullet pouring involved either.