Thread: 40 mile caribou herd

Default 40 mile caribou herd

Thinking of taking my son up to try and get him his first big game animal, but wondering from you veteran hunters if this would be a good idea since it sounds as if the place is just a shooting gallery. Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Paul

Make sure you follow all the changes that have happened to the hunt. I'm assuming youre talking about the Taylor or Steese Hwy access areas.

I got a mailer the other day that had alot of info about the changes, I assume they only sent them to people who'd had permits last year...

It had info in there that I had NOT heard about...like enforcing a "BOW ONLY AREA" near the road where significant crossings of bou start to happen...it sounded as if it would be an "emergency order" type of deal on the bow areas and no advance warning....If I was going up there this year to the Taylor, I'd bring along my bow also, just in case. I dont remember it saying you needed the bow certification, but it may have...

I think they may have extended the non motorized areas but now I cant remember. I'm sure others can provide better info....

Default good first hunt

its a great first hunt for a boy, ya got four wheelers, high, open terrain for easy hiking and a chance at close meat bulls ( both of mine were at about 40 yards) alot of people but also alot of caribou-if the timing is right. I would give him an orange/camo hat to wear, and make camp very comfortable- he will love it.

Take lots of water. The trail is along a ridge line and there very few opportunities to drop down for a water run.
    PC gag in place.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Make sure you follow all the changes that have happened to the hunt. I'm assuming youre talking about the Taylor or Steese Hwy access areas.

I got a mailer the other day that had alot of info about the changes, I assume they only sent them to people who'd had permits last year...

It had info in there that I had NOT heard about...like enforcing a "BOW ONLY AREA" near the road where significant crossings of bou start to happen...it sounded as if it would be an "emergency order" type of deal on the bow areas and no advance warning....If I was going up there this year to the Taylor, I'd bring along my bow also, just in case. I dont remember it saying you needed the bow certification, but it may have...

I think they may have extended the non motorized areas but now I cant remember. I'm sure others can provide better info....
    Correct me if I am wrong anybody, but it is my understanding that the bow cert is required for ALL hunts that are "weapons restricted bow only hunts". The only time you do not need a bow certification when using a bow is when you are using a bow in a general hunt of some type. Check the regs under weapons restriction hunts. I received the same info you did. It sounds like fish and game will be monitoring the location of the herd, and if they herd crosses the road, fish and game will try to set out signs along the road indicating the boundaries of the bow only areas. Good luck.

We do have wheelers, will definitely bring lots of water. Dont care much if I get one would just be a bonus but I'd sure like my 11 year old son to get an opportunity. We have a blaze hat and vest for each of us. Thanks for the replies and good luck to you all.
    Paul

Can you imagine how bad the situation would be if they allowed hunters to go buy a bow one day before the hunt and go out shooting at Caribou at 100 yards with hopes of hitting one? Wow, we would have caribou running around with arrows in their butts, caribou running off and dieing terrible long deaths because some total neophyte shot him in the guts. No, I don't think that would last long !

I believe Bushwack is right. Hunts limited to bow requires certification. Every serious meat harvester should get one, it opens up alot of opportunities!!!

Hunters wishing to hunt in a weapons restricted area (archery, muzzleloader or shotgun) must successfully complete a course for the weapon with which they will be hunting. Certain Alaskan archery and muzzleloader drawing permits also require the successful hunter to be in possession of a Basic Hunter Education Card.

Page 13 under "Requirements for all hunters"
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Having never been there I have to ask where people park there rigs are there just wide spots in the road to park and hike from there?
    Paul

There are a few places to park by the trailhead. There will likely be rigs there. I parked by the bridge with everyone else when I went.

Tim

Thanks Tim!
    Paul

Can someone give me just an idea of how far up we are talking about before there is even a chance to see something? Like a Mile Marker or something. All I can guess now is somewhere after the summit and before Central. I figure there will be rigs parked out on trailheads, but I am a newbie to this hunt. To know of a good long, high chances trail would be really nice.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you'll know... everyone else will be there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince is right. You'll see a lot of rigs just before the Chicken bridge. You probably won't see anything before that.

Well that is good to know. Thanks for the advice. I've learned that relying on the 40 mile hotline is wishy washy at best. They narrowed it down to "evenly spread throughout the centers of the zones." Wow.....thanks guys

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by N2AK View Post
    Well that is good to know. Thanks for the advice. I've learned that relying on the 40 mile hotline is wishy washy at best. They narrowed it down to "evenly spread throughout the centers of the zones." Wow.....thanks guys
    well that was the intent of the sesaon delay... to spread the herd out through the zones... rather then all on the ridge at the same time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Does anyone know how likely it will be for the animals to be on the Steese? Or how far someone doing a walk-in hunt might have to walk to compete with people on quads? I'm planning on bringing my husband up to try and get his first caribou, but I've never hunted the area myself. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whitewolf2025 View Post
    Does anyone know how likely it will be for the animals to be on the Steese? Or how far someone doing a walk-in hunt might have to walk to compete with people on quads? I'm planning on bringing my husband up to try and get his first caribou, but I've never hunted the area myself. Thanks
    there is ALWAYS a chance... but typically steece fall hunting requires several days in the back country... birch creek if you can get there is a good vantage point... they tend to be in smallish bands still over on this side... winter is when they are near the steece in any real numbers.

meet on face book here