Thread: Looking for advice on new rod and reel for lake fishing...

Smile Looking for advice on new rod and reel for lake fishing...

I recently purchased a Sevylor Colorado (I have yet to take it out so you'll have to wait for a review on it) and I'm looking to upgrade my current gear (cheap hand-me downs) for lake fishing for trout/pike/whatever-else-I-can-catch. This is my first canoe so my lake fishing is limited to fishing from the shore around the Anchorage lakes. I'm looking to get a new spinning reel/rod and fly rod and reel. I was wondering what you guys recommend for weight and length? Looking to spend up to $200 for each set, but I'm always the biggest bang for my buck. I have a couple cheap Shimano spinning reels that have worked and feel great. I'd really appreciate some recommendations on specific gear types as well. I also like fishing the rivers for rainbows/dollies/reds/silvers so if i could knock out two birds with one stone, that would be great. Thanks for your help. I've been looking online at cabelas.com/bass pro shop online, and other major retailers online. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Happy fishing!!!

I would give some thought to a 6-6.5' medium action rod with 8 lb line for the lakes and a 7' medium heavy rod with 12-15 lb line for the reds and silvers. For $200 you should be able to find two decent rods with spinning reels. However, if you want to spend $200 on each outfit, that will be easy enough to do as well. Buying locally is always good as you can see the stuff in person. Also, nice to support your local business folks. However, you could look at the "Bargain Bin" at Cabelas website and find some really good deals. I have found some steals there over the years.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Awesome, thanks!