Thread: Durability of Shoulder Mounts

Default Durability of Shoulder Mounts

I was wondering how well shoulder mounts fare during family moves. I am in the military and still have a good 4 or 5 moves ahead of me before retirement and I am concerned that a mount will get beat up to the point of looking awful or becoming unrepairable. I am very hopeful for a sheep this fall and would really like to have a shoulder mount done but I don't want to spend all of that money if mount will not survive all of the future moves. I really like the European style mounts, but to me, the European style sheep mounts are not quite the same as the full shoulder mounts.

Thanks for the help.

John

I've got a shoulder mount bou that's been all over before I finally stuck him on the wall...

3-4 trips to the kenai, in and out of my brothers apartment, to the ABA banquet, back to wasilla when we moved...still looks good to me.

The only thing the taxi told me was to handle the antlers as least as possible just reduce any chance of the skull plate working loose from the form..

I forgot to say that whenever it was off the wall, it was bolted to a sheet of plywood large enough to cover the 'footprint' and keep it from falling over and antler tips rubbing.

I have an antelope, pheasant, trout and a few turkey tail fans that have survived at least three moves so far. I really get involved in the packaging of the mounts during the move and pay particular attention to how they pack them. Also, follow the package out to the truck and make sure it is pack on top of the pile of boxes to prevent pressure damage during transport.

Terry

if your really worried about it and all you have is a sheep ...build a crate around it.....sheep crates are really easy to build and are pretty small...usually 28inches cubed or so....use 1x4 and thin plywood or heavy cardboard to wrap it..
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Build your self a good crate, or have your Taxidermist make one up for you. I build them for all my out of state customers, and they can be unscrewed and stored. That is the way to go in my book.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I have one that was done in 1990 and has made a few moves and still looks as great as it did the day I picked it up from the taxidermist. like everyone else said build a crate for it and if possible attach it to the crate.

I know one thing that you can have done is to have your taxidermist make your antler removable. Mine charged me an extra $75 and it's worth every penny.

Thanks for the input - a lot of great advice. If I am lucky enough to take a sheep, I will go for the shoulder mount. Now to find a taxidermist!

I have over 45 mounts that I have moved across country, overseas.. back, over and back again.. I build my own crates out of 1x4's, with 1/4" plywood on the bottom and 3 sides.. the animals get put in, screwed from the outside and a crap load of bubblewrap and packing paper (that the moving company) provides.. (I am military also).. the weight of the wood is minimal..

If your in the anchorage area.. look me up, I am a taxidermist also..

Hoytguy

I have a mule deer that has gotten really hot while stored. The ends of the ears split, it isn’t real bad unless you look at it closely. I think (I could be wrong) that excessive temperatures can be hard on them.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer