Thread: Open Carry defined

Default Open Carry defined

I am in a situation that dictates that I cannot carry concealed due to restrictions from my employer, so to speak. Open carry, however, is not prohibited.

I am new to the state, and i know that states define the line between concealed carry and open carry differently. I'd just like to know how Alaska sees that line.

Another portion of this is the weapon in a vehicle question... Is there any differing definitions when it relates to a vehicle?

Thanks for the help. I tried to search "open carry" and couldn't really find anything useful.

Sections 190 through 210 are most of the firearms related laws for AK...

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akst.../Chapter61.htm

If done legaly I don't belive the states cares how you carry,in or out same thing to them. I believe the law still states you can carry a loaded pistol in your car but not a loaded shotgun or rifle.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by stephenthesuave View Post
    I am in a situation that dictates that I cannot carry concealed due to restrictions from my employer, so to speak. Open carry, however, is not prohibited.

I am new to the state, and i know that states define the line between concealed carry and open carry differently. I'd just like to know how Alaska sees that line.

Another portion of this is the weapon in a vehicle question... Is there any differing definitions when it relates to a vehicle?

Thanks for the help. I tried to search "open carry" and couldn't really find anything useful.
    If it's just your employer who is limiting your options for concealed carry and not a legal situation such as a felony, etc..., than this would not be an issue related to the legal definition of open carry vs concealed. It would be something you need to have defined by your employer since they are the ones enforcing their own rules. As Amigo stated, I don't think there is any legal reason why, in Alaska, there would be a situation where concealed carry was treated differently than open carry. Alaska used to required a CCW, however that has been rescinded.

Sounds like the same situation I have. My employer is Uncle Sam and the Ft. Richardson/USARAK commander. If you are in fact in the Army here and new, be very careful. Everyone on post has super heeby-jeebys about firearm related offenses right now.
    I have other (civilian) friends that are in the opposite situation, their boss doesn't want to see it around the office. Out of sight, out of mind. So their employers restrict open carry.
    Good advise above, your boss needs to be able to define the two.

thanks for the direction, all. Ryan J, understand about the firearm related issues going around. I have no intention of trying to push the line at all. Just re-read the policy letter and I believe that I have the clarity I was seeking here.

You all are correct that it is the policy letter that defines "concealed carry" for this situation, and by exclusion defines "open carry".

All I really want to be able to do is carry while walking or hiking, and it looks like I am good to go.

Ya if you are up around Fairbanks get a real long belt for carry outside your winter parka
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you