Thread: moose calls

Default moose calls

insight anyone everyone...whats the bang for the buck call?when is too much what is not enough? i have heard alot of mixed opinions looking too see if it continues on the forum?

Old Metal coffee can with a little hole in the bottom. Tie a shoe string in a knot and feed it threw there,( cotton), stick something in the can to mute the metal, wet the string and practice, practice, pratice, lol. Makes a good grunt, or if you get really good at it you can make the cow call.

The wetting of the string is the most imporant part. (Can't be to wet, or to dry, just pinch in between your thumb and forfinger and slide it down)

Enter in search field: Moose calls, then click: magnifying icon, then read TONS of information on moose calls...

Bull Magnet. Buy it at sportsmans. Buy Love thunder & Bull DVD's 1&2.

That's all you need to know.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You really don't need anything other than your voice. But Pike Palace's recommendations help.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

The LTB vids definitely help. I have a bull magnet but don't carry it much. I just use my hands/mouth and pick up something to rake with. Occasionally I will make a birch bark cone and use it. They only take about 5 minutes to form and work as well as anything. Best part is I just leave them at the call sight so no clunky cone to haul around w/ me.

Default moose calls

I personally am a big fan of brush thrashing with a moose scapula. I think it has a very realistic sound. I have heard some really good grunts and cow calls from my friends with a bull magnet or a rolled up piece of birch bark, but I myself am not a huge fan of them. I think it depends on if you are hunting an area that has a lot of pressure or not. I have heard about the coffee can idea but I have never tried it. I think I am going to go cut a hole in a can and try it out. Is there any particular type of string that works best? I have also heard of guys taking a water bottle and pouring it out in a lake or pond to imitate a cow urinating in the water. Like I said, I have had my best results brush thrashing with a scapula. If it worked for the Native Alaskans and Native Americans for thousands of years, it outta work for me. The other thing that is nice about a scapula, is that after you get a bull knocked down, you got two more scapulas for next season. Just cut them off the front shoulders and boil down and scrape off the meat and cartilage.

Just an old tennis/sneaker shoe string, Helps if it is flat. Wet it down good and squeze the water out, then just run your thumb and forefinger down the lenght. Grunts are short pulls, Cow calls take a bit of pratice. You will be amazad at how loud this is, that was the reason for the muted sock or whatever you wish to put in the can to mute the metal sound. Good luck.

Default Works like a charm

Hey Rock Skipper, your idea works like a charm man. You are right, that tin can idea is a dead ringer for a bull grunt. I couldn't make a cow call, but the bull grunt is cool! The best thing about it is how loud it gets. Hopefully not to many guys are gonna read this and try it out, or else Wayne Kubat is gonna go outta business. Sorry Wayne! I tried a 12 oz coffee can and a 34 oz can. I liked the 12 oz can better myself. It was more nasal sounding.

Practice pulling on the string kinda slow down the lenght of it.

Lol, glad it worked for you.

I agree with the coffee can call. It is getting harder and harder to find an all metal coffee can in that size though. Another option is the large pork and bean cans. The volume and length of cow call is hard to beat doing it verbally.