Thread: buffalo mine road and grouse hunting today. open day thread. lets talk....

Default buffalo mine road and grouse hunting today. open day thread. lets talk....

i was curious how everyone did today. Headed up to buffalo mine road with the two kids. Out on the atv and covered alot of ground both on machine and foot. Didnt see a single bird. bumped into two gentleman who walked in from the sutton side and where on foot the whole way. Stopped and talked to them and they informed me that they covered miles and miles on foot doing cow moose scouting and i asked them about grouse. Guess what they said? We saw absolutely nothing.

So i am curious how did everyone else do. Is grouse hunting crap in buffalo mind road area now? Anyhow interested in people thoughts.

Default Still Early

I saw 7-8 crossing the road by my house yesterday. Didn't see any today though (figures right?). But I was out looking for moose today, not grouse. Almost every year, around the third week of August, grouse come into our yard to eat the abundant cranberries. I almost always shoot at least two or three of them with my bow. A few years ago my wife and I woke up during the last week of August, and there was a flock of them on our back deck. I told her to grab her bow, and she ran outside and shot two of them with one shot. Leave it to the ladies to show us up right?

I mentioned it in another thread, but I was tramping around the Peter's Creek trail for 9 hours or so today. Not a feather in sight!

I went out this morning with high hopes of bagging some grouse as I saw
    many last weekend while riding my Atv and of course I didn't see one. I did see a beautiful cross fox though I wonder if the grouse hot the memo that they are fair game as of today

Keep in mind now that it's still pretty warm for these birds during the day. And you might have to get off the trails to find them. The "coveys" folks talk about are actually family broods, and they are still laying low in cool, moist areas like alder and such and may have another source of grit besides the trails you're walking and driving. Every season starts out slow like this, just enjoy being out with gun in hand and to actually be hunting. As the season moves on it will get better! Good luck.

Jim

Found another little brood, flock, or covey (whatever you call it) today. Managed to shoot at least one with my bow. I like hunting them with a bow. Especially a recurve. Makes it somewhat of a challenge. They're too easy to hit with a 22 or shotgun. I suppose if you get em to flush, it makes it harder. You should try it with a bow sometime though. It's a lot of fun.

I can't speak to your neck of the woods there Jim but this time of year I have found that they roost up high far more often than most people think. How many people honestly look up high in the birch or hemlock for grouse? They are there when it is warm in south central which is why they seem to "appear" later in the fall.

Head shots make it a lil more of a challenge with a .22. My son and me have that as a rule, and if we miss no biggie,they dont go far. But we rarely miss.