Thread: 115 etec on 17.5 wooldridge fuel usage

Default 115 etec on 17.5 wooldridge fuel usage

I have a 17.5 wooldridge alaskan with a 115 etec with i -command. Iwas wondering if anyone had a similar setup to compare fuel usage. I am using about 1.5 gallons more an hour more than the wooldridge performance report states.

Couple of questions to start:

What year was the hull mfg'd? This will make a difference, as the older hulls were quite a bit narrower and won't have as good fuel economy.

What kind of weight/payload are you running with?

What is your impeller/sleeve configuration?

Is your impeller in good condition?

What do you have set for your "fuel source" in your gauge - the ECM (onboard computer) or a sensor in the fuel tank?

What is your typical/average RPM range you're running when you are taking the reading?

What year is your E-Tec, and has both it and your gauges been recently updated with newer software?

XL

the boat has a 60 " bottom, new impeller sleeve, and 4-blade stainless imeller. the weight and payload is light, just me and some gas. fuel source shouldnt matter for the fuel flow meter this information comes from the motor, but I have it set up for the fuel tank. I checked at all rpms and compared it to the performance reports on the evinrude and wooldridge websites. it was 1 -1.5 gallons difference throughout range. the motor is a 2007 with a update and tune-up last summer.

Hmm - sounds like you have all the simple stuff covered/in good shape.

Do you have a memory module kit installed as part of your I-Command network? That will be required to calculate fuel consumption if you select ENG/FFLOW (engine fuel flow) as the Fuel Remaining Source. I suspect the calcs being displayed for you now are pulling from the tank sensor, not the EMM as you've suggested. I just reviewed my I-Command Installation Guide (pp 48) and it infers that to have the EMM accurately report fuel flow, you must select ENG/FFLOW as the source; if you use FLUID LEV SNSR (your tank sensor), it will calculate it differently.

I've tried both sources on my rig, and have found the ENG/FFLOW is *much* more accurate - I don't use the tank sensor at all any more. Next time you're out on the water, reconfigure over to the ENG/FFLOW source and see if you get a different value - I suspect you will.

I might be misinterpreting what they're saying, but it's at least worth a shot to see if you get a different result. If you don't have a copy of the manual, send me a PM with a direct email address and I can shoot a copy to you in PDF.

XL, I previously did not have the fuel gauge setup with the i command, and i still had fuel flow reading. So i think the fuel tank settings is more for a trip meter. The fuel flow info comes straight from the motor.
    Thanks

Understood - like I said I might be misinterpreting the verbage in the manual.

Do you trim your motor while on step? I've found I can squeak out a bit more MPG if I tap the trim 2-3 notches above the bottom - my trim value on the gauge reads 5-6 typically at the sweet spot. There was an issue of having this reading improperly calibrated out of the factory, but the local shop was able to zero it with EVDIAG.

So what is your fuel usage?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

4500 rpm-27mph-7.5gph
    5000rpm-31.5mph-8.5gph
    5500rpm-36mph-12gph

silly question but are you also checking on what gas you used based on when you fill it up. use that to guess gallons per hour at an average speed you went. that tells me how far i can go at what settings. but i dont have gas sensors so that is what i use. but that is what you ultimately need to know in real life travel.

seems like you burn alot more than me and i have a merc 115 on an intruder.