Thread: float and eggs set-up

Default float and eggs set-up

what is a good set-up when using float and eggs? as in line size,hook size, weight, float type, and depth to set eggs at? thanks guys! just trin' to get an idea of what to bring.

Never fish with it, maybe someone with experience will chime in.

Depth would depend on the water you are fishing.
    I set my Grand daughter up with it once, but no luck. Not much movement to attract attention.
    Silver hit lures in slow moving water
    in current i drift eggs or use spin-n-glo/eggs anchored on the bottom with a big sinker.

Maybe it's like a strike indicator used when fly fishing.

I don't have experience, but did find this earlier thread when I was looking for similar information.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ai-Silver-Rigs
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

In the Valley, the most popular float now is the ESB, a slip float. Tie about 2 foot of leader to a 2 way swivel, using 1 2/0 or 3/0 hook, or a double hook rig of 2/0's. Place a bobber stop on the line coming off your reel, then slide the bobber on. Tie the mainline into the swivel now, and set the bobber stop at the depth you want to fish. Usually somewhere from 2-4 feet. Also place a splitshot, up to size 2, on the leader, which will set the eggs to hang straight under the bobber. Short article about bobber fishing.
    Last edited by willphish4food; 08-10-2010 at 19:32. Reason: adding a link

SHORT, SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE !!!

Outfit your reel with 20 LB mono line. Attach a size 3 or 4 gamagatsu octopus hook to your line and place a plain jane white/red bobber 3-4 feet from said hook. Then take one size 2 split shot and place it 8-12 inches from your hook. Attach bait to hook, wrapping the skien around the hook a few times to ensure the bait will stay in place (unless ofcourse you use a eggloop setup) and its game on

If you want to go even more sleek and simple, you can disregard the weight and bobber, using a nice gawdy hunk of eggs on a single hook to dead drift your bait.

Fishwacker has the right setup. Bobber goes down....set the meat grabber.

Pay close attention to your float/bobber too. If its creating a wake you need to adjust your depth so its not dragging along the bottom, from what i've seen/heard it needs to bounce along the bottom. If you're using a float (tapered body, not a sphere) make sure it rides straight up and down and not on a crazy angle. Sometimes a slight angle up stream is fine, means the bait is right off the bottom and bouncing every so often but not dragging behind your float. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    SHORT, SIMPLE, EFFECTIVE !!!

Outfit your reel with 20 LB mono line. Attach a size 3 or 4 gamagatsu octopus hook to your line and place a plain jane white/red bobber 3-4 feet from said hook. Then take one size 2 split shot and place it 8-12 inches from your hook. Attach bait to hook, wrapping the skien around the hook a few times to ensure the bait will stay in place (unless ofcourse you use a eggloop setup) and its game on

If you want to go even more sleek and simple, you can disregard the weight and bobber, using a nice gawdy hunk of eggs on a single hook to dead drift your bait.
    Good set up..... but for me it's 2ft from bobber to hook, #2 Gamakatsu, and my #2 split is no more than 6" from the hook.... that's just me

What I got so far is, the depth below the bobber should be close to the water depth so the eggs float on or just off the bottom.
    That was one of my problems, I just hung it a the 2' deep & in the almost slack water. Saw silvers rolling, but no takers.

I like the technique, but as with any new technique, some learning curve is involved.

I'll try it again when I get in conditions where it should be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Good set up..... but for me it's 2ft from bobber to hook, #2 Gamakatsu, and my #2 split is no more than 6" from the hook.... that's just me
    Thanks for the tip... worked like a charm this morning at Jim Creek, first time I've taken a fish with eggs under a bobber.

I've tried before but was missing the split shot...

How were the Silver numbers this morning, Sierra?

They are comming fairly steadily still.

got my first in about 10 min on a pink vibrax while I scouting out where they were holding. Before I could get my second the hog line showed up and pushed them out into the silt and it took me another hour to find another good holding spot...

I did much better than the average, most people were just thowing out whatever and not getting anything to bite.. (well duh they were all out in the Knik.) I got quite a few envious looks walking down to the table with my 2 at 8:30am.