Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody seen this?

Sort of at a loss on why people do stuff like that.

I've been wondering all day about that...........I mean't if it would show up here.

This is an interesting case in what one can and cannot do without a guide license.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you knew Brian you might you would prob have more insight as to the why.

Default ?

Shpshtr,

Don't see how "knowing a person" would change things in this case. Right is right, wrong is wrong.
    It's way past speculation now.

I'm curious as to how long he was getting away with this before he got busted?

did he used to be a poster in here?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default northern rim wilderness adv

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    If you knew Brian you might you would prob have more insight as to the why.

Last week, Bethel District Court ordered Richardson to repay five of the hunters $34,000 after he pleaded no contest last fall, Cresswell said. Richardson, owner of Northern Rim Wilderness Adventures, was also fined $7,500, must serve three days in jail and can't legally apply for a big game guide, transporter or sportfish guiding license for five years, Cresswell said.

-- Anchorage Daily News

His web site is down wonder if he was made to take it off as well?

Default Northern Rim Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    did he used to be a poster in here?
    He is still posting here from time to time. I have always found his information helpful and he seems willing to help the new folks out.

He must have recently pulled his website, because I was on it not long ago. I think he temporarily pulled it during the trial too. I'm sure it will be back.

I consider Brian a friend, and was really surprised to see this whole situation happen. The guiding laws in Alaska are very clear in most areas, and the penalties for not following them are usually severe. Brian has owned up to what he did, and is now trying to figure out whether the business he's spent most of his adult life building can survive this or if he will have to fall back on something else. Five years is an eternity in this business.

Folks, I've wondered whether there is value in discussing this issue or not. Brian is very skilled in his field, and has been willing to help anyone who asked. To my knowledge he has never attacked anyone here without provocation. He has some strong opinions, but has shown respect to others. I think that's what makes this harder for me to deal with. I have always stood against illegal activities of any kind, but if my position changes when a friend is involved, I have to wonder how strong my beliefs were to begin with.

Then there's the question of balancing justice and mercy. Every one of us has found ourselves in situations where we knew we deserved justice, and yet we hoped for leniency. If we all got what we deserved, well... what hope would we have? In this case, Brian has owned up to what he did, and appears to be repentant. He is in the process of paying the penalties the court mandated. We can debate the severity or leniency of those penalties all day long, but in the end the question is whether those penalties have resulted in a change on Brian's part. It appears that they have. So now we get to decide whether there is value in publicly dissecting this case. Personally, I think it is important to recognize that illegal guiding cannot be tolerated. If this case turns some folks away from committing illegal acts, then that is a good thing. But I don't see a lot of value in talking about it just to beat a guy up. If I were in his shoes, I'd be thinking that I had paid my debt to society, and would be hoping for mercy and restoration.

Ultimately, the measure of our quality is not how skilled we are at meting out punishment; it's in how good we are at lifting the fallen.

For what it's worth-

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

i'm done with it.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    h.

So now we get to decide whether there is value in publicly dissecting this case, and in causing additional damage to Mr. Richardson in the process.

-Mike
    Publicly dissecting this case allows more of us to learn from anothers mistake. The clients in this case learned their lessons the hard way. It would be a shame for others to go thru a similiar scenario.
    Another educational situation was discussed at length on the PV forum with participation from at least one of the fellows involved in that case. I thank that man for helping others who may someday be in a similiar circumstance.

There's no value in causing additional damage to Mr. Richardson.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Angry Really

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    He is still posting here from time to time. I have always found his information helpful and he seems willing to help the new folks out.

He must have recently pulled his website, because I was on it not long ago. I think he temporarily pulled it during the trial too. I'm sure it will be back.

I consider Brian a friend, and was really surprised to see this whole situation happen. The guiding laws in Alaska are very clear in most areas, and the penalties for not following them are usually severe. Brian has owned up to what he did, and is now trying to figure out whether the business he's spent most of his adult life building can survive this or if he will have to fall back on something else. Five years is an eternity in this business.

Folks, I've wondered whether there is value in discussing this issue or not. For me it's different when the person convicted is someone you don't know, or perhaps has an abrasive personality, or is openly abusive. In such cases it's easy to simply say they had it coming. But when it's someone you know... when you see the hardship that results from something like this, somehow it seems different. Brian is very skilled in his field, and has been willing to help anyone who asked. To my knowledge he has never attacked anyone here without provocation. He has some strong opinions, but has shown respect to others. I think that's what makes this harder for me to deal with.

I have always stood against illegal activities of any kind, but if my position changes when a friend is involved, I have to wonder how strong my beliefs were to begin with.

Then there's the question of balancing justice and mercy. Every one of us has found ourselves in situations where we knew we deserved justice, and yet we hoped for leniency. If we all got what we deserved, well... what hope would we have? In this case, Brian has owned up to what he did, and appears to be repentant. He is in the process of paying the penalties as the court mandated. We can debate the severity or leniency of those penalties all day long, but in the end the question is whether those penalties have resulted in a change on Brian's part. It appears that they have. So now we get to decide whether there is value in publicly dissecting this case, and in causing additional damage to Mr. Richardson in the process. Personally, I think it is important to recognize that illegal guiding cannot be tolerated. If this case turns some folks away from committing illegal acts, then that is a good thing. But I don't see a lot of value in talking about it just to beat a guy up. If I were in his shoes, I'd be thinking that I had paid my debt to society, and would be hoping for mercy and restoration. Ultimately, the measure of our quality is not how skilled we are at meting out punishment; it's in how good we are at lifting the fallen.

For what it's worth-

-Mike

Well thats it saying alot. Gees I like the guy so like ummm well dont say nothing bad about him breaking the law you know he is good at what he does umm umm umm! Look the guy TOOK TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS from unsuspecting people he is a criminal no matter how good he treats you or me!
    You know if you cant tell this stikes a nerve with me . Mike this is valuable information to discuss in a civil manner, myself & others like me read these pages for information & the sharing of advise but also searching for good honest people to rent services & or equipment from. This is exactly what we need to see & hear about so we dont get taken by criminals like him.
    I have always read your posts because you seem knowlable to many of the topics you post on but if I was to find out you where doing something along those lines well I sure wouldnt hire you for anything. Look he might be a nice guy but he was breaking the law with his services. Guys we are not talking a speeding ticket here he took ten of thousands of dollars from people. Man what a slap in the face of every hard working honest operation out there. Mike as a guide or just a honest person I really cant see that there is anyway you can defend what he has done to people the state & other guides.
    If he is your friend then maybe you should just excuse yourself from comment, but the topic is worthy so others dont fall into his trap!

I really dont care to drag Brian thru the mud but more so the topic. Thats what we need to learn, how to identify these kind of shade tree operations. The goal should be how to make the most out of ones once in a lifetime trip to AK without crooks like that taking the money when the are not licensed to do so causing a ruined trip.

for what its worth

For the typical Alaskan and especially for Alaskan Big Game Guides, there is little to learn for them from dissecting this case. As they pretty much know the deal. But, for hunters looking for good information, that don't have a clue about Alaska or Alaska law, there is much to be learned from others mistakes. The single most important aspect for this type of forum, and all others like it are for discussing and sharing information. Few come on here to learn to hunt, most are that far along in their endeavor.
    For starters:
    Any guide that has to advertise, is suspect. With hunters networking the way they do today, all good guides get more business than they can take on. If a guide is advertising, they are either getting started (inexperienced) or they can't get repeat or referenced customers.

Just because a guide posts flashy banners or has a web site, doesn't make them legal. BEWARE, avoid the most flashy like the plaque.

Longevity in the business means nothing at all. Some of these guides have been illegal for a very long time and the fact is that some can never gain competency if they live to be a hundred. Some people just can't ever learn to play a musical instrument and others don't possess the hunter instincts.

More often than not, a guide that gets busted has a long history of wrong-doing. The single instance we read about in the paper is just the tip of the iceberg. I wonder just how long this individual was operating under the radar? Judges know they will be back, that is why delay tactics are part of the sentence, hoping the perp will find an occupation that better suits society.

Bottom line, if hunters are not willing to carefully examine our own actions and those we deal with, then surely others will. There were two guides illegal activities exposed in the biggest newspaper in the state, just this week. The non-hunting public reads the local papers, and most would be hunters from afar hoping to one day hunt in Alaska don't. But they do read this and other forums like it.

if you wanna talk about illegal guide activity just go to a guide camp...
    i'll bet you over 50 percent of the guides operating are trespassing...at least 50 percent! I know in my area there are two of use with land use permits and at last six other guides that frequent the "area" that aren't permitted.
    Native Corps, BLM, state land and private land all require land use pemitt, which cost big bucks, but no one enforces it, they just hope some guides will send them money...most don't. so why buy a land use permit, if they won't even spend the money to come out and check you...just to be legal. but if yo don't get caught, thats the mentality. sounds like someone got caught, for a different violation but still caught. its funny cause the residents or DIY hunters that trespass no one cares about cause the land holder hasn't figured out how to get big money outa them yet...so the guides just bend over and take the hit.
    kinda off the subject of bashing defense.
    Master guide 212

I don't see any value dragging him through the mud either. Brian, I hope you end up doing well. He who has no "hunting" guilt can cast the first stone at you.

My concern is this: there are those on this site that act like the ethics police anytime someone does anything remotely un-Alaskan. Slight errors in judgement are certainly criticized in excruciating detail. The poster is slammed by judge and jury and provided a written lecture on what "should" have been done.

Now a "friend" does a hainous deed and a whole new tone of justice and mercy is presented. I'll guarantee: if Brian was from out of state or someone relatively unknown this thread would have a very different tone.

Inconsistant criticism such as this reveals quite a bit about a person and his/her favoritism and REAL concern about Alaska's wildlife vs. protecting it for him or her self.

"lifting the fallen"...: I recommend that you do it yourself consistantly instead of foisting your new-found ideals on others.

Default interesting

I will not drag this man through the mud, but I am concerned with how some people have made this out to be "not such a big deal". This wasn't a speeding ticket, a antler restriction violations, or something of that mannered. This was outright "stealing" of THOUSANDS of dollars. Cmon guys, if that isn't wrong, I don't know what it. Friend or no friend, wrong is wrong, right is right. Maybe it would be better to distance yourself, but to make it sound like it wasn't that big a deal is totally wrong in itself. I'm sure if you asked those hunters that booked, they probably thought it was BIG DEAL! JMO

Default no tears here

funny how so many stand up for the guides that get convicted for crimes done in the field.all i got to say is ATTA BOY to all the guides that keep it clean and legal for it seems we are a dieing breed.

gusuk..bingo.
    I'd hope that these guys that have been getting busted would actually wake up some of the guys out there that SHOULD be getting busted. It would be neat to see the guide proffession one thats resprected based off what we do, rather than disrespected off how we do it.
    The worlds a changing place...
    i didn't read thru all the above posts as they are mostly excatly the same as every other "guide did it, its wrong dont' defend him" post.
    but i don't recal anyway saying that what this guy did was right, ethical, not wrong, ok, forgivable, understanble nor did i see anyone condone it...what happens in these post, several times a year is someone gets caught, gets hung, name splattered all over and some guys say ease off, he's getting his punishment, no need for us to give more. while others think its a free for all to rip this guy a new one and anyone who happens to have the occupation as him.
    The guy commited a crime, got caught, a jury took care of him. don't see any reason why i outa keep on kicking someone who already knows they screwed up.
    Master guide 212

Default Everything you read

I have absolutely no knowledge about this case and no ties to anyone involved. Here are some unbiased comments to remember.
    Everything you read in the paper is not always the truth. ADN cowtows to the troopers to get information and prints everything they tell them with no colaboration of facts. The troopers and D.A.'s can and do release completly false information to make people look bad and the press prints it as gospel. Becareful making judgements without knowing the facts, not just what is printed. Second, most everyone here, myself included, knowingly commit crimes and just pass it off as not that big of deal. BRWNBR stated about guides not getting use permits, but its not just them. How many of us cross or use native or private property areas to access hunting grounds? How many of us do the same thing on snowmachines? We know its illegal but its just native land and we dont like them anyways, or they shouldn't own it anyways. Does this sound familar, have you ever said it? I am as guilty as anyone else of this but it's still against the law. This might him home to many of us and some will probably selfishly continue because we always have and it's not a big deal. Before you condemn some one for "knowingly" committing a crime look in the mirror. We know what we do is wrong and continue, if we get caught and are punished what do we want others saying.
    Becareful of whats in print, just because it is doesn't make it so.
    Just a painful reminder to us all.

Default hats off to ya

Quote Originally Posted by gusuk1 View Post
    funny how so many stand up for the guides that get convicted for crimes done in the field.all i got to say is ATTA BOY to all the guides that keep it clean and legal for it seems we are a dieing breed.
    That is so true like I said what a slap in the face to all the honest hard working guides out there.
    This isnt oops I crossed over, the guy plead guilty to the charges & guys TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast