Thread: Active Duty Iraq Veteran Fishing in Alaska

Default Active Duty Iraq Veteran Fishing in Alaska

A friends son just finished his second tour of duty in Iraq, he is coming here to Alaska for a visit. This fine young man loves to fish, and I planned to take him fishing while he's here. When I checked about license I was told it will cost him $55.00 to fish in Alaska for a week.

I think that's ridiculas, this fine young man is serving this nation in a war zone, and the state of Alaska is gonna charge him to fish??????
    Talk about fee grabbing, that's about the about as bad as it get's in my book.

Wheather you agree with the war or not is NOT the question here. It's about doing soemething decent for our war veterans.

This young man has put his life on the line for our nation....he has served two tours in Iraq, and now our state want's to charge him $55.00 frigging dollars to fish while he is here visiting his mother.......that's makes all Alaskans look bad.

We look like a bunch of fee grabbing jerks........come to think of it that's what the people making the rules in Alaska are.....a bunch of fee grabbing jerks.

I'll pay the $55.00 out of my own pocket, and I hope those jerks down at the state finacial office choke on it. I'm a veteran, and I remember what it was like coming home from a war zone; I want this young mans visit to Alaska to be a pleasent experence......he has served this nation with honor, and courage, he deserves no less than to be treated with respect.
    Last edited by lc335; 08-10-2010 at 16:21. Reason: adding to my post

Considering the vast amount of fish that Alaska has to offer and how many people travel here just to fish alone its not all that ridiculous he can pay 55 dollars for an entire week of whatever he wants to fish for or he can pay the 250+ dollars for a SINGLE day of guided fishing that the private guides up here charge. It really isnt an issue of status or job position or what you have done in your life. In the end it is all about $$ for the state. And ANYONE can propose changes to hunting and fishing laws if it bothers you that much propose at your local level that the state has a special non resident military price similar to the resident price or whatever you feel is reasonable. And I have been to Iraq myself two times and before I was a resident I happily paid the price to fish in the beautiful waters of Alaska.

Thank you for your service to our nation, and thank you for your thoughts on the matter...........it's not the money. I guess being a NAM vet I'm over sensative about seeing people show veterans respect, and consideration.

Apparently.....at least according to you, I'm way out of line on this one.....thank you for setting me straight.

Veterans these days are shown a lot more consideration and respect then what I have heard they were shown in the Vietnam era. Is it enough? Probably not, but I don't think the license is that big of deal. I would support a measure to reduce or eliminate fees for veterans though. I commend you for paying for his license. That is better than 1,000 yellow ribbon stickers IMO.

Being a active duty Iraq vet I will say that Alaska is one of the most military friendly states I have ever been to. The initial sticker price of $55 hurts but as you know he will definately get his moneys worth fishing there. I pay more than that to fish in the lower 48 and dont get anything close to the Alaska experience.

technically, most soldiers will be an "iraq veteran" ,,, because they will make it in to a rotational Tour of Duty, just like Korea, or Japan, or even the MFO missions in Egypt.. $55 dollars inst so bad, thanks for thinking of veterans though

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Are there other states who offer the same thing for N/C?

I was in Iraq on AD in 2005 and 2007. Honestly don't need anything special for it. Knowing that the license and tag money goes back to managing the resource makes me feel good since I am contributing back to that which I receive so much from.

I do think a reasonable argument could be made to get Tri-Care to cover the costs of the tags though. An evening fly fishing a remote stretch of trout stream is far more therapeutic than an hour on the head shrinkers couch, and a good deal cheaper to boot.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Good one LuJon...and why not? It's not like "Tri-To-Get-Care" covers actual medical bills, might as well try and get them to cover something!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Good one LuJon...and why not? It's not like "Tri-To-Get-Care" covers actual medical bills, might as well try and get them to cover something!!!
    Slight Hijack here but have to put my 2 cents on above knock.

I've never had a problem with Tricare Prime paying bills. My wife went thru Breast Cancer about 7 years ago. Did some stuff on Elmondorf and then Providence and Alaska Regional. My total out of pocket expense was less then 1200 bucks not including my 460.00 for annaul premium. Had great care. Key to cost is go on base first and get a referral off base if they can't do the service, that way you only pay 12 dollar co-pay per visit. This also includes a plastic surgeon.