Thread: Camo question

Default Camo question

I am just getting into hunting and I have talked to a few people who rifle hunt and they are kind of back and forth when it comes to camo. I watch the shows on the Outdoor Channel and all the people hunting with a bow wear camo. Is this necessary and if so what camo pattern is best suited for hunting up here? Also does anyone know where to find camo for women?

My experience (North Slope, mountains, where ever)....my personal choice is Cabela's Outfitter Camo. I've noticed that the designer camo basically looks like a dark blob at a distance; buddies of mine wearing the COC seem to blend better. I don't know what the animal perspective would be.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

Is water proof or water resistant the way to go?

While watching all of those hunting shows on TV have you ever noticed how many people are wearing both camo and blaze orange?
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by menzel82 View Post
    I am just getting into hunting and I have talked to a few people who rifle hunt and they are kind of back and forth when it comes to camo. I watch the shows on the Outdoor Channel and all the people hunting with a bow wear camo. Is this necessary and if so what camo pattern is best suited for hunting up here? Also does anyone know where to find camo for women?
    as for the ladies wear... Full curl archery has the SHE line of camo in stock i picked some outer wear up for my daughter that fits her well.. they did not have a huge stock but i think can order it for you...

Scheells on line also carries some for the ladies,
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

While watching all of those hunting shows on TV have you ever noticed how many people are wearing both camo and blaze orange?
    Seeing how it's required by law in many states it's not that unusual. Critters don't see in color and blaze orange camo patterns work just fine. In reality, though, in many places in Alaska the "sage brush" style camos are the best, but if you sit still and play the wind you could kill an animal in a white tee-shirt and pink pants like Vince likes to wear
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You (I, we) don't need camo, not really. Well, except for ducks and turkeys since birds see in full color. For hunting big game 90 percent of camoflage is masking the human outline and movement.

Having said that, outside of the military, the various manufacturers of hunting and mountaineering clothing are driving the development of new clothing technology. Most of the best new fabrics and designs are only available in camo.

Decide what you want to do hunting wise, and how much you can afford to spend. Generally, you want a big open pattern on a layerable, quiet garment. If the garment itself isn't water & wind proof then have a shell that is. For hunting in Alaska, layers are the key.

While I have several camo garments, most of my fall will be spent in a plain olive Helly Hansen Impertech rain parka
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Coming from Oregon, I have always worn camo while bow hunting. My choice is predator camo, it breaks you up at a greater distance. All the realtree and mossyoak styles become dark blobs at longer distances. You want a very contrasty camo pattern like predator or ASAT. Something with a light or bright background with dark hard lines that stand out and break you up. Hunting the tundra, which I'll be doing for the first time, I would imagine camo won't help you much because there is no background to blend into. The best thing to do is to pick a bright earthtone color that will blend you in with the color of the ground vegetation but won't make you a black blob at a distance. Using the wind and terrain is key there I think.

Plus the animal you're hunting comes into play also. Animals with poor eyesight don't really require camo. For sheep, the best thing I've seen is Sitka's mountain mimicry pattern, which really makes you look like a grey rock. That's what I will most likely be using.

Hunting elk and deer back home I've been camoed up head to toe and had animals stare me down at close distances even when I've been motionless. I began painting my face too as I believe the brightness of your skin and the stark symmetry of your face doesn't look right to them and they notice it. But that's just me. Elk are sharp animals, deer not so much, deer will stare and if you don't move they usually go back to doing what they're doing. Elk will bolt if there is one tiny thing they don't like.

Like someone else mentioned....layering is the absolute key, from your underwear out. Get a packable gore-tex shell and layer under it with synthetics. I like the Cabelas gore-tex/microtech (I think that's what it's called). I even wear synthetic underwear unless it's moose camp where we're relatively cushy compared to sheep, caribou, etc.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I completely disagree on the camo driving the quality gear market. Most of the latest greatest fabrics are not available in camo. eVent and shoeler dryskin being two of the best out there. The mountaineering and backpacking industry drives the outdoors gear market with hunting way behind it. I like to wear light colored pants, (currently khaki colored Westcomb w/ shoeler fabric). For a jacket I do have a camo one from Sitka with their optifade pattern. For base layers I like merino wool and for sitting in camp a packable synthetic puffy jacket. There is lots of good stuff out there and honestly hunting the wind and using available cover will get you much further than any camo.