Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez 2010 Silver Fishing

Default Valdez 2010 Silver Fishing

Possible for someone to post a reply here who has actually been out fishing in the last two or three days to fish for silvers? Tough finding any accurate posts out there. I do see success but I'm seeing they are having to go fairly far out past the narrows. I'm bringing my 20' Hewes down as I did last year but I didn't time it just right. We caught fish inside the narrows but had to work for them. I've fished down there for silvers in the past and caught them every cast but have to time it right. Furthest I will go probably is Jack's Bay or Sawmill if they go into there. I'm coming from Fairbanks so the drive is a haul with a boat and I want to make it worth while. Sure would appreciate it.

The silvers are in. We caught three limits in about two hours at Jacks Bay on Sunday. I also talked with a friend at the Valdez Harbor today that says they limited out at Mineral Creek this morning. The outlook is musch better than last year.

Wow...glad to hear that. Jack's is just outside the narrows on the left isn't it? Trolling or casting? I typically cast with a diver, flasher, and then a single hook with a herring chunk on it. You know they are in thick when you can stand on the back of your boat and cast for them! Sounds like now is the time to head down then. Mineral Creek is actually inside the bay isn't it, on the right hand side?

Yes, Jacks is on the south side of the narrows about 12 miles from the harbor. Trolling with a diver, flasher, and hoochie with a chunck of herring. Mineral creek is on the north side a couple of miles past the ferry and city dock. We didn't cast for them but we had a few doubles on so the silvers are definately here.

Hi:

I am coming from Whitehorse on the weekend for a halibut and salmon charter, and couple buddies coming with me, is there shore fishing available now for silvers? This is our first trip to valdez and I am counting the hours , any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Default Valdez Shore Fishing

Yes, you can try fishing from the city dock or Alison Point. It might be a little early yet but the fish are starting to make the way in. Saturday is the Valdez Women's Salmon Derby so it will be kind of crazy in town. Best of luck!

Rod: thanks for the information, I know the derby is Saturday, coincidence I guess the weekend we are coming down, we are all first timers for valdez.....someone told me it would be too early for allison point for silvers?? Is this the case? And I know it is fishing, not catching, but we will not be total tourists if we are seen fishing from the dock on Sat? I have a halibut charter and salmon charter booked for Sunday and Monday, looking forward to seeing valdez for the first time, and my first of many trips I hope .

Cheers

Verdun

Hey bayman, you're gonna love Valdez. This will be our 3rd year going down. Total blast. Be prepared for rain, last year it rained every day. We're heading down 18 - 23 Aug. Can't wait...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    We're heading down 18 - 23 Aug. Can't wait...
    my shift starts the 22 -29th, hopefully we leave a few for the sainers to pick up! haha
    getting ancy, started packing all ready

Trying to determine if I want to leave tomorrow and come down or wait until Labor Day weekend....I've got my own boat so access to the fish isn't a problem. Anyone know how the fishing typically is during this time? Am I missing my best opportunity now to get my son on some fish by not coming tomorrow and waiting for labor day? Spoke with a guy at Fish Central and he thought Labor Day would be better. I just want to get my 11 year old boy into some serious silvers...nothing more fun!

rizks-
    labor day weekend they unleash the sainers to scoop up fish, itll thin out real quick, but fish will still be there. going the week before is usually the best time to go. i think if you give it another week youll be in good timing.

heck now that im thinking about it, now is good, tomorrow is good, the next day is good, the day after that...

I have to agree with preed, every day is good , leaving tomorrow for valdez.........awesomeness!

Fished down there from the 3rd through the 8th. Slower for us at least than in years past. As we headed into the harbor to pull out we hit 2 on 2 passes by gold creek. Rizks don't fret just get down there and you will get fishon. Oh yeah one other thing they ARE BIG this year!

Fish have arrived in Valdez! Fishing has been great, fish are large and feisty, definitely fun. Fished around Jacks Bay today and got two limits in about four hours. Heard fishing was also good in the Narrows and along by the gold mine. Limited out by the gold mine myself on Wednesday. Fish ON!!

Alaskaref, thanks for replying. I'm getting a lot of feedback on my post and hope that others who may have been looking for the same info I have are seeing this. I've actually scheduled things so I'm coming down this coming Thursday mid-morning and should be on the water and fishing by 5:30 or 6:00 (depending on available sunlight!) Friday morning! Planning on trolling with a diver, flasher, and a dual single hook setup with angle cut herring as my bait. Worked fairly well for me last year. Have a 20HP kicker this year, so will attempt to make it out to Jacks bay as well. Didn't want to run out there last year without some sort of backup power to get me home. I'm then coming down on the Labor Day weekend as well, so figure between both trips, I ought to be in the fish! Any fishin tips you want to throw my way, I'm all ears. Gold Mine is that stretch of rocky wall before you get to the entrance of Shoup Bay isn't it? I read one reply where they were picking them up at Mineral Creek which is even closer in if I recall. You fishing in Jacks Bay or out in front of it? I understand the limit if you are inside of Jacks Bay is 3? And outside is 6? Is that correct?

I have a 21 ft hewes and Jacks bay is no problem. We were trolling along the north side nearest the narrows and also just outside the bay and ended with 12 fish total. fish were hitting anywhere from 17 to 35 feet down. Tongue Point at the other side of Jacks was also hot, there were 9 or 10 boats there for a few hours in a cluster, they were really pulling them in. Should be fish pretty much anywhere you want to go. Have Fun, we are going out for Halibut today.

Doug

Talked to the old man today. He finally took the boat out and did some fishing. When I talked to him, he said he had one in the bag and lost 5 more right at the boat in a couple hours fishing. He said they kept losing them right at the net...I should have drove over this weekend, I don't know what I was thinking! One of them he said was a derby winner...lol!

Oh and he said it was packed for the womes silver derby...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

any good fishing from the shore? thinking about a day trip tomorrow

Just got back, had great weather over weekend but left in pouring rain this morning. Fishing was great, went out to Mineral and Gold
    Creeks in our 13 ft Quiksilver. Seemed slower in the late afternoons than mornings, had lots of bites in afternoon and lost some gear
    but pulled most fish in early in the day. BIG fish. Coast guard was checking boats on Saturday -- licenses, registrations and required items to have on board including PFD's (still don't get why folks don't put on their PFD's) -- so be sure you're all legal and everything.

Good luck and keep your bonker at the ready, these are feisty fish this year !

Was their for 5 days and the silvers are in good. People fly fishing near mineral creek were doing as good as the trollers. We fished from mineral creek all the way down south of Jacks bay and fishing was great. We lost alot more than we got into the boat. The fog sucks in the morning though. The Glacier campground was very nice...exept the bear that liked the bed of my truck, and wasn't as packed as I thought it would be... Good luck and tight lines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast