Thread: Red Fox in the wood pile!

Default Red Fox in the wood pile!

Out playing around with my Canon 100-400 on a Canon 7D and mostly looking for birds to photograph when my eye spied this red fox in a wood pile. He gave a brief opportunity to grab some shots before he went back to hunting.

Jim

Default Awesome,

Jim! +1 ya if I could, needo spread the love 'round...

Thanks! Appreciate the love.

Jim That is one of the best fox shots ever. So nice to be @ the right place @ the right time!

awesome picture. How close were you to mr. fox?

Foxes that close freak me out big time! Scared they may have rabies! My first winter here in Marshall, I was gettin' wood in Wilson creek, right by the airport, & I was just above ice line, & I looked up the bank, & not 10' away above me, there's a fox, just a sittin' there eyein' me contentedly, as my chainsaw was a whirrin' away...I talked to him/her a bit, regretted the fact I didn't bring my cam, & went back to sawin' my wood, & he sat their the whole time watchin' me...I wondered what went through his/her mind...(Boy he's a FATTY! I wonder if any o' my boyz are 'round to help me take him down...Nah...then I'd hafta share! (lickin' lips))

Richie,

I dunno, maybe 25 to 30 yds? I had to crop the images even at some 600mm.

As to rabies...the last I knew there hadn't been any reported incidence of a rabid fox in the interior, but there certainly are cases in the arctic. Got this info from ADF&G one time a long time ago.

Jim

Beautiful Job Jim,
    Man those are nice, What an Animal

Good photography, to put it mildly
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks, Kodiakrain!

Outstanding photos, Jim.

Thanks, Ray! And I've been back out looking for my little red pal and was amazed to find him out in the open again when the temperature was hovering near 80! He had to be hot, but he allowed me a few more quick shots before he sauntered off into the shade of the wood pile again.

Jim

This summer, a Red Fox has been visiting my dog yard ... usually about 2 am. He (I think, by its size, it's a dog Fox) prowls around the yard, looking for scraps to eat. When through with that task, he has one older male husky, always the same one, that he romps with, for several minutes. No wrestling, just dog play.

I've tried sleeping in one of my trucks, with my camera on a window mount, all set up, but he won't show himself if I'm outside of the cabin. He's too smart for that. As far as I'm concerned, he's welcome here. The dogs get a kick out of him. So do I. And my chickens are behind chain-link, with wire overhead and in the ground.

Jim, do you still have that handsome black horse?

Rick,

I do still have that horse! He's older than dirt...kinda like me.

Jim

Jim ...

Wonderful pictures of a beautiful critter.

When given such opportunities, usually fleeting, do you shoot in bursts or single shots?

Rick

Rick,

I shoot AI Servo on my Canon 7Ds at around 8fps. No longer have to worry about wasting expensive film, just fire away and delete the misses. With today's equipment it's quite easy to capture great shots of fleeting critters. Having said that...I still take my time when I have the time, and I'll just shoot two shots and pause if I can so I make sure of my focus.

Jim

Really nice pics of the fox! Looks like you are having fun with the 7D.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Tull,

I'm having an absoulute blast with this new equipment! But I'm a computer dunce and I have a hard time with "workflow" in LR 3. Never been all that organized and I haven't changed all that much, but I'm struggling to learn more every day. I have no choice. My NY agent no longer seems to be using my thousands of transparencies and the checks have shrunk to beer money size. I had to come out of the dark ages of film or perish.

Life is good!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Tull,

I'm having an absoulute blast with this new equipment! But I'm a computer dunce and I have a hard time with "workflow" in LR 3. Never been all that organized and I haven't changed all that much, but I'm struggling to learn more every day. I have no choice. My NY agent no longer seems to be using my thousands of transparencies and the checks have shrunk to beer money size. I had to come out of the dark ages of film or perish.

Life is good!

Jim
    Jim, you making any money yet with that 7d?

Tight Lines & Best Fishes!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Tull,

Got a couple of them now, and a few more lenses. They are indeed making me some money, but never enough, of course! I really need the newest version of Canon's 500 when it comes out next month, but I'm not so sure spending $11,000 on a lens is such a good idea.

Jim

Thanks for sharing . . +1