Thread: button buck?

Default button buck?

Have any of y'all ever seen a "button bull"?
    I replied to a thread about judging the spread and it made me wonder.

When I was 15 I shot a doe in Alabama only to find out it had two small buttons in place of antlers. Although I couldn't see it from the distance, it was a full grown buck complete with a penis.

Looking back, I reckon I took the lack of antlers and the size of the deer to mean mature doe, ripe for the pickin'.

So, have any of y'all ever seen or shot a bull with buttons? pics if you got'em.
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

Yeah, I've seen them, but in like November. And you can't hunt them anyways because they don't fall under the spike/fork rule.

i understand the regs say you can't hunt them because they don't fall under the spike or fork rule. i don't think anyone goes looking for a button bull anyways. I'm just inquiring if anyone has ever shot one and had a pic. I'm not speaking about a young bull that just can't muster the gumption to grow antlers, I'm speaking about mature bulls that, for whatever reason, just never produced antlers..
    Thank you, God, for making so many wonderful creatures. Thank you, not only for that, but also for making them out of meat!

I never shot one, but I have seen 1, never took pics either. it wasnt a mature bull, maybe 2nd 3rd set of antlers,they came up only 2 inches from the base, mushed out with wierd growth of em. that was 5 yrs ago, and i may have seen the same bull in o8, same area and he had real wierd antlers, nice six piont on one side and a club on the other. antler growth, is effected by damage to the testicals of the animal, so if you seen one that could be why

A old bull moose will do the same thing. Saw one that went straight out from the left side of the head about a foot and had six points on it, the other side went out about 6" and then took a dip and came back over the head and had five points pointing straight in the air. F&G put him at about 10 years old.

I shot one that had 20" spikes (no growth on either horn, just straight spikes) and he was a 3 year old.

When I hunted over in South Africa, the one farmer had a collection of 50+ eregular kudu horns.... Some crazy sets. More than one set looped back around and actually killed the kudu.

I've killed them in Mi. make great meat deer.
    Paul