Thread: Sitka Gear Coldfront Softshell Jacket

Default Sitka Gear Coldfront Softshell Jacket

Hello all, I recently found a superb deal on the Sitka Coldfront jacket. I do not know anyone who has used one and am wondering if anyone here has it/used it. I've not had great luck with Gore-Tex raingear in the past, but am hoping this will be different. I will be using it on my next float hunt, though I will have my HH Impertech as a back up.

Any input on this jacket will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Moose44

Generally speaking any softshell jacket will be considerably less waterproof then it's goretex counterpart. Think of softshell as more of a cloudy day or light snow kind of jacket, not something to combat legitimate amounts of water.

Have you looked at some of the mountaineering gear such as Arc'teryx or other pro-shell goretex shell makers?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Unless I am mistaken the "coldfront" is a goretex shell? It seems nice but at full price you could buy a technical mountaineering jacket. If I could get one at good a price I would try it though.

They change the design of their products fast but the last coldfront that I picked up was a thicker softshell jacket and certainly not a storm shell. I have no love lost for any of the Sitka gear except the Ascent jacket which is the only piece of theirs that has survived more than a season. Most of it hasn't lasted me 1/2 of a season.... Oh their belt is pretty good too...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    They change the design of their products fast but the last coldfront that I picked up was a thicker softshell jacket and certainly not a storm shell. I have no love lost for any of the Sitka gear except the Ascent jacket which is the only piece of theirs that has survived more than a season. Most of it hasn't lasted me 1/2 of a season.... Oh their belt is pretty good too...
    well dang jon, maybe if you were home to wear it. must be, it has become a puppy chewy thing when dropped out of the closet...

i rather enjoy my sitka gear and wear the hell out of it. got more then a few miles this last winter and sumer on the accent pants and jacket....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The Coldfront Jacket is supposed to be a "technical" jacket that matches Arc'Terryx and others. It is made of Gore-tex and the only difference between it and the Stormfront jacket is a slightly softer/quieter outershell and light liner. I talked with the folks at Barney's today and they were raving about both the Stormfront and Coldfront jackets. It is supposed to have the same quality Gore-Tex that other high ende technical jackets have. I was looking for some input from folks who had used it in Alaska. I know Gore-Tex doesn't have a great rep here, but Sitka is "Guaranteeing" it will be waterproof. I know from reading the forum, that folks either love Sitka or hate it. So far for me, Sitka has worked out great for Moose, Caribou, and Bear (Float Hunts). I have not used it for Sheep/Goat, yet.

I know both of these jackets are pricey, but I stumbled on a deal for Government workers that made it a whole bunch more affordable. I'll give it a shot and report back after my upcoming float hunt. After what we've had weather wise this "summer", I'm sure I'll get a chance to test out the "waterproofness" of the jacket. As I mentioned, I will have my HH Impertech as a backup.

Another question I have is how come Breathable Gore-Tex Waders can be made not to leak when we spend hours in the water, but Gore-Tex jackets have a hard time surviving a single, heavy downpour?

Thanks,
    Moose44

Quote Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
    Another question I have is how come Breathable Gore-Tex Waders can be made not to leak when we spend hours in the water, but Gore-Tex jackets have a hard time surviving a single, heavy downpour?

Thanks,
    Moose44
    'cos they make goretex stuff too "technical" too many pockets and the like, increasing seems and reducing waterproofness. Best Gore-tex I have and is my go-to stuff is my (now 10 years old) British army issue goretex. No pockets, minimal seams and hold out under the strongest downpoor.

Default DWR-coated Gore-Tex softshell...

Quote Originally Posted by Moose44 View Post
    Hello all, I recently found a superb deal on the Sitka Coldfront jacket... I will be using it on my next float hunt, though I will have my HH Impertech as a back up
    Moose44, I think your plan is a good one - especially if you found a deal. This is the time of year to start looking for end-of-season discounts. Just today, I was just cruising my usual websites for SitkaGear deals, but didn't see anything I could use in my size.

Anyways - my daughter has been using the Coldfront jacket and loves it. Good breathability and sheds light rain just fine. The fleece lining makes it warm and comfy in moderate temps. We usually layer up if it gets cold. Admittedly, SitkaGear has had it's problems the past few years, but they seemed to me to start figuring things out in 2009. I have 2 of their softshell jackets (2007 or so) that work out fine for most Alaska weather - just not in the driving rain. I have found my 90% and 90%-Lite jackets well made - and liked several features they include in jackets - like pit zips, plenty of pockets, collars that close up snug without irritation. Your plan to use Impertech as a backup - is perfect (just the same as my plan - Ha).

Here's technical info from http://www.sitkagear.com/products/op...front-jacket/:

Coldfront Jacket

Cut and fit like Stormfront.... Constructed with GORE-TEX® Softshell technology... Teamed with a lining of microfleece, the Cold Front is your choice for the coldest and most wet conditions imaginable... articulated elbows for full range of motion, a bomber hood, water tight chest and hand pockets, taped and welded seams that are guaranteed to keep the water out in the worst of conditions...
    - 100% Waterproof and highly breathable
    - Fully featured cold weather protection
    - Full articulation
    - Chest and hand pockets
    - Pit zips
    Technology: Laser cut and micro taped seams
    Fabric Details: GORE-TEX® Soft Shell, DWR finish
    Colors: OPTIFADE™ Open Country Concealment, Charcoal
    Sizes: M-2XL
    Weight: 1.74 lbs.

If your jacket is size Large - and it doesn't work out - please let me know.

Otherwise, have a good hunt!

One thing to remember about all gore-tex...if you kneel down, bend your elbow on the ground, or put any pressure on that spot, if it is wet the water will seep in to your skin. In most rains the gore-tex sheds water fine...but if you are driving an open boat or wheeler in a driving rain, you will also most likely get wet. I love gore-tex, but if I plan to sit, knell, or lie down I always have my Helly Hansen stuff available to go between me and the wet ground :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather