Thread: Big Su/ Deska

Default Big Su/ Deska

Just a question... Can a person run a prop boat in the Big Su/ Deska area or is it not a good idea? Been running my boat on the lower Kenai for years with no problems but I am tired of the long drive since I live right by Deska landing and have never fished this area by boat.
    Mick

I would run it with a prop if that is all I had but I have run the landing to deshka in jets and airboats for a couple of years so I know the channel. The channel is well defined except when braids come together with the occasional surprise shallow sandbar thrown in the mix. If you are good at reading water it shouldn't be a problem.

I have had the itch to take my 17' canoe with 8hp prop to the Deshka for years. Last year I saw a guy riding a small freighter canoe with a 20 or 25hp prop up river by the mouth of the Yetna.

I've ran 3 different boats to the deshka with props without any issues. Of course at the same times I saw numerous jet boats on gravel bars so its all relative to your ability/knowledge to read the water as WG stated.

If you have ran upstream of the Soldotna bridge with a prop you encountered worse water. Downstream of that bridge also has large boulders under the surface. Nothing like either of those places on the Big Sue between the landing and Deshka river. Take it easy leaving the landing especially at low water as it can be a bit shallow just before entering the Sue. When you are about to enter the Deshka be sure to stay wide to the left as there is a sand bar that sticks out a considerable distance from the mouth unless it has changed.

I think WG's thoughts of taking a canoe down there is nuts but I only say that after haven taken a 10' zodiac from Willow to Deshka and back. The trip really wasn't to bad until in the main traffic with all the big boats. Then you feel real small.

I haven't had any issues running the Big Su with a prop. (Knock Knock!) I was surprised that not to many people run a prop on the river. If you're able to read the water, you shouldn't have any problems.

The guys that move freight over the summer are running 200 hp or bigger props on both the SU and Yetena. The thing is to learn the main channels during low water times and stick to them always. You can make it about a mile or so up the Deshka. I use to run a prop on a Grayling during the hunting season.

I take my zodiac from the landing down to the mouth of the deshka and also up to the little willow. It is a longshaft and sticks down pretty far...have never hit bottom - just stay in the channels - and I have almost zero experience running rivers ......

Saw a guy yesterday running a 18' boat with a 35hp Yamaha prop at the mouth of the Deshka. I wouldn't go much further up river then the first big right hand turn than that, but to answer your question, yes it's doable. Also, the rivers are high right now and that helps. Sometimes it's not doable when the water is lower IF you don't the channels. The big river barge does it year 'round, but he has knautical maps and knows the river intimately.

Whew - he must put his Ice Props on come November??

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    The big river barge does it year 'round, but he has knautical maps and knows the river intimately.
    Do those nautical maps have a special feature that knows when the channels move?

This is a easy run with a prop. the reason the jet boats get hung up is because they don't follow the channel or push the limits taking short cuts. I run a T-jet myself so I know all about not paying as much attention than I would with a prop since I have the ability to run shallow. that being said, some people run jet boats because they couldn't find a channel in a river if their life depended on it so the jet gives them better odds of making it.