Thread: Griffiths Gnats

Default Griffiths Gnats

Hey I have a question Does anyone know of anywhere they sell griffiths gnats in size 6 or 8? Im looking for some in that size because i had some from anchorage that were that size so if anyone knows where or how i could get my hands on some more i would be very thankful.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

This is a good outfit to try http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com/

or just come over and we can tie some.....gotta clean the bench off lol.

Let me ask why so dang big? Why not just use a wooly worm? basically it's the same thing with a red tag for a tail and black chenile for a body instead of peacock hurl. Gonna take a ton of pc to make a decent body on a 6.

try a stimulator in that size, the gnat is suppose to imitate a midge or midge cluster and is thus very small
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

depends on if he's fishing it wet or dry apm.......I think I can atleast SEE the top of my fly tying arrow building catch all table LOL

The reason I would like the larger size is because the grayling up in the gulkana and around the tangle lakes mouth have been destroying my tiny size 18 ones so i want to move up a few sizes.I know somewhere in alaska there is someone who is willing to tie some griffiths gnats on a size 8 hook....Heck i would totally pay like 5 bucks a fly it would truly be worth it.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Well there are wooly worms, but seriously try a stimulator, basically a big griffiths gnat with a wing to look like a real bug, also you can find them just about everywhere that sells flies. But for $5 a fly I'll tie you up a few dozen (or even a reasonable price)...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I fished those Gulkana greyling last week with a #12 stonefly nymph and caught 5 in about 20 minutes. This week I'm using a #14 red floss/grizzly soft hackle with similar results. I wouldn't go too far out of your way to fine-tune your fly choice, unless in the interest of science in which case you should definitely tie some and report back.

I've had great success with this fly pattern. I really like it because you can tie it in a 12 (which you can actually see at the vise), but they fish a lot like smaller (16-18) fly patterns.

http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2010...y-tying-video/

I know I plug that site often, but I really do like their fly-tying tutorials. Good luck.

They are tearing up a size 18? I use 16's and 14's.....they have a habit of taking some super small stuff a little too deep. There is no reason to use a 18.

If they are tearing them a couple tips....counter wrap them with super fine wire (the flies) as you would a troth style caddis. I'd take an extra turn of hackle to counter the weight of the wire.

Second becareful with your forecepes if that's what you're using to shake the hooks out of your fishz mouths. A cheaper quality hackle (or one that was dried out) WILL break easily. YOu could try the maybe buying one of those fancy easy out deals. I'm sure 3 river sells them, I know sportsmens in fairbanks does. They have a little ring with a notch, you slide it down your line, over your fly and it pushes the bend of the hook out without grabbing the fly itself. I have no experience with them so I cant help ya there.

Lastly mash your barbs down, you MAY loose a few fish, however the hooks come out much gooder and do less damage to the fish's face. Kind of a win for everyone, you dont tear your fly up, you get it back easy and you dont destroy the fish's mouth.

thank you for all the information guys.I have decided to hit the gulkana on my way back from chitina sunday afternoon.Im gonna use quite a few of the new flies i picked up at frontiers outfitters and big rays,I also have managed to get my hands on a few wooly buggers so hopefully that will be enough lol.I will report my succes(or failure....) when i get back tight lines to all

It seemed to me that the Gulkana greyling were stacking up around and behind migrating sockeye, or maybe the salmon just liked to rest in good greyling water. I caught all of mine within five feet of red salmon, but on nymphs not eggs.