Thread: s&w 500

Default s&w 500

i'm thinking of letting me hand cannon go, i like carrying my .45 alot more. so my question to the experts around here (cause i'm sure you're all more versed than i am in these things) is what do you think i should put it out there for. also, what are the private party transfer laws, is it easier (safer) to just take the hit and let a shop sell it for me?

for those wondering, i've had the 500 since august or so and have put about 30 rounds through it. it's the short barrel model and would come with a good tan leather holster.

thanks for reading and sharing your ideas...

ben

Check on gunbrokers to see what they are selling for. I am guessing you have the 4in model?

If you do these seem to sell better used than the 8in models. If yours is in like new condition you may be able to get $800 for it. Not sure but it is a good place to start. If you sell it face to face just make sure the person is 21 and I would ask them if they can legally purchase a handgun, if they say yes and there are no red flags go for it.
    Tennessee

Question

usnrs,
    A lot of us look at the 500 S&W and think of buying one. I have checked them out in stores, but don't really see myself carrying a gun like that as much as I might fantasize about it. I still like it because I like guns. Can you enlighten us a little more on why you are selling it? Is it too heavy, ammo too expensive, or what? Just curious.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. - Henry David Thoreau

Default S&w 500

Another option, to avoid the possible hassles of private party sales would be to put it on consignment at one of the shops in town, like great Guns or Great Northern Guns. You would get more for your piece rather then in a direct sale to a shop and the person buying it would have to be legal to do so.

good idea - i'll have to see about the consignment deal. it is the 4 inch barrel, and it's in 'like new' condition.

as for why i'm getting rid of it (maybe)
    - the ammo is expensive, it's over two bucks every time i pull the trigger, those are expensive holes in wood and paper. the guns not as punishing to shoot as i thought it would be, but after ten shots you're pretty much done with it for a bit. it does have a kick, and it's louder then hell. over all, the .45 is just a whole lot nicer to carry around - it's half as big and maybe 1/3 the weight (guestimate)...and for fun, i'd rather shoot a few hundred with the .45.

I personally would avoid handing it over to a gunshop. Last time I tried that they wanted 15% commission. Granted they may be able to sell something easier than you can but I would still give it a go myself first.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up .500 sw-thumpers

I really like my .500sw..its comforting to know I am carrying the biggest available...Does anyone know how I can buy some of the famous tyrannosaurus thumpers? I will soon be living in the Soldotna area

Thanks..

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by old yeller View Post
    I really like my .500sw..its comforting to know I am carrying the biggest available...Does anyone know how I can buy some of the famous tyrannosaurus thumpers? I will soon be living in the Soldotna area

Thanks..
    Old Yeller
    I can be reached at
    RGIBSON38@HOTMAIL.COM

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

ok, it's not doing any good in the closet, 850 seems to be the fair price on here, so first come first served. again, it's the 500, with the short barrel and a tan leather holster (galco brand), it's had about 20-30 round through it. i'd also be interested in trading for a rem. 700 with a decent scope on it in good/great condition.

thanks,
    ben