Thread: Timbers needed for cabin foundation, sources needed.

Default Timbers needed for cabin foundation, sources needed.

So I'm wanting 8X8 treated pilings (Lowes only has 6x6) for my cabin foundation pilings, probably 12, need to be 8', buried 4' and up 4'. I also need 6 12' 4X12's or 3 24 footers if they were made. These will be the main floor beams, and the floor joists will rest on them, these will fit atop of the 8x8 pilings. Cabin is to be 16X24, and all Lowes has is 4X8X12's so if I were to use the 4X12's I'd have to butt them together and use a strong tie to join em. How are you guys joining the floor beams when they are so long, or does someone sell really long beams?
    Anyone else got good prices on lumber besides Lowes and Home Depot in the Valley? I'll be buying sheet metal for the roof from Majic Metals in Palmer as I did befroe for the kid's cabin/tree house.

Thanks Billy Jack

Try SBS or, in Anchorage, Northland Wood.

Are you sure you need 8x8's? would 6x6 work? How about railroad ties?I think they are 7x9 9' long.

Use 6X6 "Structral Grade" not landscaping timbers that are pressure treated. Then use 4X12 for the beams. Tie them together with 1/4 inch plate. Use Simpson ties to secure them to the top of the posts. If you really think you need to, add a 2X12 to each beam. OR you could stagger the joints and lose the steel plates. Be sure to put angle braces in and fill all the holes in the Simpson ties! If you are stick building, consider cantilevering your floor so you have more room for snow to fall without touching the foundation. Leave enough eve to push the snow farther from the sides. a 12/12 pitch roof will not always shed snow.

Mike

If you are dead set on using 8x8's in treated and 4x12x24's it is a simple trip to Wasilla Spenard Builders Supply. While they are my competition, I find the Wasilla store to be much easier to deal with than Anchorage.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I too question the need for 8x8's. Unless your beams are super massive they (posts) are just supporting the beams. Your connectors will do all the hard work, in case of earthquake or wind, settling. I used 6x6 treated (the green ones .6 i think) because they were supporing 4x14 beams. think I saw 8x8 when I picked mine up so they are avalible at SBS. Buy your lumber from SBS in my opinion, seems to be a much better product especially when buying rafters and other vital stuff. (No I don't work for SBS)

If your in snow country build up off the ground a bit. I'm up 5' off the ground and still can drive a snowmachine across my front porch in the winter. Last winter was the first time my 12/12 did not slide when heating the cabin up, stuck around all winter until the spring. Nice to have your walkways far enough away from the fall (dead zone).