Thread: Where to put the family on some salmon

Default Where to put the family on some salmon

I have family here in town from Illinois, and they would really like to catch some salmon in the next couple of days. I had originally planned on taking them up to fish the Russian River, but the fish counts don't look very good and the report from ADFG isn't too promising: "Late-run sockeye salmon fishing at the Russian River or in the Kenai River below the Russian River Ferry is very slow. Recent information indicates this fishery is also coming to the end for the season.". Numbers on the Kenai don't seem too bad, so I'm thinking about fishing lower down instead if anybody thinks that is a better idea. I'm in Anchor Point, so the farther south the easier for me.

Thanks for any input you might have.

You could try the anchor and ninilchik rivers and also deep creek. Silvers should be showing down there. Also the dollys are starting to nose in. Fishing the lower kenai for reds would make for some long days with the run tapering off. Silvers are beggining to nose into the Kenai though. Fishing the board walk in Soldotna with roe might be effective. For a better chance you might look at doing a half day charter.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

If you just want to get them on some salmon you can't beat Hope in my book; not sure of the age range/mobility of your family, but Hope is pretty easy for about anyone. Maybe hit Bird Creek along the way depending on the tide.

Sheep Creek. Right at the bridge. Lots of Salmon, cast a vibrex spinner.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

From what I've heard Kenai/Kasilof are starting to pick up Silvers, so Soldotna might be a good shot. If nothing else, it's a big pink year so I'm sure they would stay busy sorting through the pinks to find a silver or two?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Pinks on the lower Kenai sounds great even if we don't get any silvers. I've never fished for pinks on the Kenai before and would really appreciate any suggestions about where to fish for them, and suggestions of lures to use. Hope is pretty far from us in Anchor Point, so I'll put that suggestion on the back burner for now. Thanks for your help already guys!

I'm assuming you're trying to do this rather inexpensively? For a moderate cost, you could get a water taxi in Homer to run you across to one of the creeks across the bay for pinks. Humpy Creek by its very name should be loaded, and I'm sure there are others. Call Dave with Ashore Water Taxi (homerdave on this forum) and ask him what's going on across the bay.

Eagle Rock off the Kenai Spur is a $5 fee but lots of pinks at the parking lot, and silvers if you walk downstream. Any access point all the way up to Bing's Landing should have something.