Thread: Lost Shrimp Pots

Default Lost Shrimp Pots

I saw this on craigslist today. Thought someone on here might be able to recover some of their lost shrimp pots.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1889728859.html
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life

i was going to post it also i already sent him a note but have not heard anything back yet....keeping my fingers crossed
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

That is pretty vague. Who hasn't lost pots at some point? I have not lost any this year, so I don't have any hope that they are mine. One of these days someone is going to discover a back bay where the current is taking all of these floating pots, and there will be about 1000 buoys in there.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

On my last trip out setting pots this fall, I lost all my pots in one set. I think the problem was setting them too deep. around 500 feet with 600 feet of line. I imagine that they either went in a hole or slid down deeper, since it was on a side hill.

wordpress newsletter plugin

Vague is better than nothing, lets encourage this sort of freindly, hopefully helpful info. Thats two this year I have saw!
    Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud, Applaud

If you ever read CraigsList, half of the ads don't have a phone number or info, ad's like truck tires for sale, gee get a clue, what size.

Funny how there seems to be more "stolen" pots floating around the sound lately ???? Nice to see folks are starting to look out for each other a bit more.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I don't get it,why don't more people put their name and phone number on their buoys? It's easy and people can return your pots if they're found. Seems like a no-brainer...

Regs say you have to have the first initial and last name marked on the buoy. Makes sense. Go figure.

On my last trip out setting pots this fall, I lost all my pots in one set. I imagine that they either went in a hole or slid down deeper, since it was on a side hill.I have since gone back twice trying to recover them using a grappling hook. I have tried circling with 300-400 feet of line out and a chain with the grappling hook (trying to snag the sunken bouy) and I have made a couple of passes dragging the bottom, trying to catch the line between the pots, none of which worked.

Appointment Setting, Appointment Generation

Are you sure they sank and didn't just float off? I know it depends on how much weight you have and the size of the buoy, but the A1 buoy I have will just barely keep mine afloat.