Thread: SE Alaska/ Prince of Wales.

Default SE Alaska/ Prince of Wales.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on my KP trip last August, it was amazing. I'm looking for some info on Prince of Wales trout fishing. I know there is decent cutthroat fishing, but what about rainbows? We'll be there the first week of September chasing silvers and definitely want a crack at some nice Alaska rainbows, and possible early/carry over steelhead. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
    but what about rainbows? We'll be there the first week of September chasing silvers and definitely want a crack at some nice Alaska rainbows, and possible early/carry over steelhead. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Silvers, Dollies, and Cuts.

No 'Bows, and very unlikely you'll hit any steelhead. Where are you staying? I might be able to help you out some more ..

We'll be staying in Whale Pass, a friend of ours has a cabin there. Dollies, and cutts are good. Will we find any of decent size? I'm trying to put together a list of rivers and drainages in the area that we can explore, and by explore I mean we definitely are NOT afraid to hike!

We'll be staying in Whale Pass, a friend of ours has a cabin there. Dollies, and cutts are good. Will we find any of decent size? I'm trying to put together a list of rivers and drainages in the area that we can explore, and by explore I mean we definitely are NOT afraid to hike!
    Cuts will be in pretty much every body of water.
    Dollies should be starting to spawn around then. Look for creeks connecting to salt; holding salmon is preferable. Get a USFS POW map, and bring plenty of gas money. Don't forget Lakes!!
    Rivers with salmon will be fairly obvious... Bigger bodies, connected to salt.

we definitely are NOT afraid to hike!
    Spoken like someone without much hiking experience in SE Alaska

Some of my best POW fishing experience have been completely random. Just pull of at one of the thousands of unnamed and unnumbered streams you cross on the road.

yes, there are some POW systems with decent rainbows - nothing of great size that I know of; as mentioned try globugs or ESLs on streams connected to lakes. Silvers and pretty good size sea-dollies will be there and catchable if you get rain and stream is in shape. Not familiar with any rumors about steelhead that time of year.

You're definitely right on about the hiking experience in SE Alaska, I guess better put would have been we're not afraid to give the old boots a workout in search of fish.