Thread: Kenai Silvers

Default Kenai Silvers

Is lower and middle Kenai silver fishing pretty much a boat deal only or is there success to be had for the shore angler? Any tips?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I've been curious about this myself, seems fishing season was too short this year and I'd love to give Kenai Silvers a shot
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

There is some shore fishing to be had in Soldotna that I know of, not sure if there is any holding water around Bings or not.

Yes, plenty of places: Soldotna Creek, Centennial Park, the visitor center dock, Cunningham Park... probably missing some... College Hole? Then there is the Kenai Canyon trail spot off of Skilak Loop that should heat up soon, maybe Jim's Landing also. They are moving in, just be there and soak bait or float eggs, or pitch pink or blue #4 Vibraxes. No boat needed!

Don't forget the Kasilof also. Cohoe cove might be a good bet and maybe Crooked Creek, though I haven't seen any reports on that river. In a few weeks Deep Creek and Anchor River are good for silvers (especially early in the AM). Hey, it's gotta be better than kings, eh?

Thanks for the info Sayak! Is there decent silver fishing to be had flipping with chartreuse/pink yarn, similar to when your flipping for reds? Or would that be a waste of time better spent with a vibrax?

Thanks again!

Jon

I've seen people flip for silvers on the Kasilof just like they do for kings. Crooked Creek has a good run. They probaly do on the Kenai, I'm just not a flipper I guess. I have used yarn in an egg loop with good success on the Anchor.

Cunningham seems to be a popular spot. I always see people there fishing. Seems soaking eggs is most common there. Good luck, we picked one up tonight lower river.

You can thread them just like you do reds in the upper river when they get there. You can also amp it up and use a shrimp fly which is my preffered method

shrimp fly? Not familiar with that, is it a dry fly or a actual piece of shrimp?

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    Cunningham seems to be a popular spot. I always see people there fishing. Seems soaking eggs is most common there. Good luck, we picked one up tonight lower river.
    Tried Cunningham this AM with eggs above weight. No one was hooking up, but then, it was a minus tide, and the tide was still out. Tried Soldotna Creek; no banana there either.

So is it just eggs with enough weight to keep them on the bottom? Maybe a small float attached?
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Egg hooks on a float or spin-n-glo with around 1-2 feet of leader back to enough sinker to hold the bottom. Float should be just large enough to float a film-can sized glob of cured eggs.

You want to pitch it way out there if you're in the current as silvers tend to do better out in the channel (hence the reason fishing from a boat is more popular).

Flippin yarn next to the bank like you do for reds isn't going to get you much in the way of silvers.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!