Thread: Honda Shrimp pot puller

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Honda Shrimp pot puller

I'm looking to get one but I've never run one,I have a power winch now but I don't like putting hours on my outboards(if I don't the power winch runs slow and will burn it out).Will the honda pull 3 pots on one line,how fast and how does the salt water affect the outside?Thanks.

Depends on the reduction of the puller and horsepower of the honda. I would think it will pull fine. The salt spray will rust most stuff on the motor so you'll need to make some kind of cover to keep the spray off. I see some of the gillnetters use a rubbermaid tote over their honda's that run the pacer washdown pumps. Keep it sprayed up good with some LPS#3. Make sure you have a easy to get at kill switch on the hauler in case you get caught up in the head or it takes a riding turn and starts winding every up good and tight. I used to have one on my lobster boat back east and i had a clutch on it to go to freewheel if things got messed up.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Where can I find one?

Been thinking about changing out my Ace Hauler Pot Puller, its just not strong enough to pull three pots at a time. Have had it for a few seasons and the motor is about to give. Where can I find information about the Honda puller or do any of you use any others out there.

Would love to see pics of your setup.

AH

I've built a few using a briggs 5HP motor w/a 6 to 1 reduction gear on the motor and a chain drive to a gypsy head or you could drive a hydraulic pump with the honda and run a hanging pot hauler with it. Sorry don't have any pics of the briggs set up but its pretty simple, just a chain & sprocket from the reduction gear on the briggs to a shaft mounted gypsy head and its all on a welded angle steel base (better if base was aluminum, no bleeding rust on the side of the boat.) Guess i should build a few to sell along with my shrimp pots???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Don't have any great pictures, but here's a couple of my Honda 11hp engine mated to a hydraulic pump. It runs a hydraulic puller...

The valve located near the sheave allows reversing the puller, in case something hangs up. It would probably pull the boat under water, and never sweats even 5 pots on a string.

You can get a capstan head that fits directly on the shaft of the 6-1 gearbox.