Thread: Help a brotha out.... APB for missing Trapper

Default Help a brotha out.... APB for missing Trapper

kwikfish-salmon-rattle_0734.jpg

Sent an all-star K-15 Trapper Kwik swimming on Saturday in the lower Kenai for a nice silver. Warned the kids that it was the best K-15 in my arsenal and to guard it with their life. Within 3 minutes of deploying the killer plug.... SLAM.... rod buries hard and the water explodes with a HUGE coho! But in less than 2 seconds the battle is over when the 15# Maxima UG parted with a loud CRACK!

Turns out my nephew backlashed that ABU reel badly and did not completely clear the bird's nest. The line buried into the spool just a few feet inside from where it was deployed and simply LOCKED UP.... drag could NOT release any line beyond that spot!

A half hour later the big coho buck jumped right next to the boat trying to shake my prized plug loose, trailing 40-plus ft of monofilament. Had the kids feverishly casting hardware to try and snag the trailing line while the fish were all still kegged up in the hole, but no one connected before the flood tide flushed that batch of fish on upriver.

There's no doubt in my mind that fish has already been caught by now by some lucky angler who snagged the trailing mono. Maybe it's you or someone you know.

The plug is heavily battle scarred with probably over a dozen black Sharpie hash marks tatooed on the left rear quarter panel, rigged with a trailing single barbless siwash on a stout swivel. It may also have a second single barbless siwash attached with double split rings to the belly screw-eye (getting old and can't remember if I took the belly hook off or not) rigged with 40# Maxima UG leader.

Longshot, I know..... but I'll offer a $50 reward to the guy who recovers that plug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I feel for ya Doc. I have a favorite K-15 as well. It's caught darn near every king I've ever got. It's chewed up, teeth marks in it, paint coming off. It's gained such high status, I'm getting to the point I'm afraid to use it for fear of losing it. Hope ya get it back!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I know how bad it is to lose a favorite lure. I had a popper I used to use for bass that caught my first 5 pounder, and loads of fish after that. Lost it when I let a friend tie it on, and he cast it into a flock of geese, and accidently hooked one. I think that lure flew north with the migration and probably rusted out somewhere in canada. I still morn the loss of that popper.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

24 hours and no leads.... say it isn't so.

Either Trapper's toast or someone's happily filling a fishbox with my prized plug.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

man sorry to hear that.....50 dollars for a plug huh? you must really want it back. If I had or do find it or that fish I would be happy to return it minus the 50 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    man sorry to hear that.....50 dollars for a plug huh? you must really want it back.
    Pretty special plug... over a dozen WA chinook on that killer.

Plus who knows how many coho and chum.

Definitely a fallen soldier that will be missed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The KeenEye MD