Thread: I need advice. Fishing Upper Kenai Sept. Need truck/camper rental with hitch...

Question I need advice. Fishing Upper Kenai Sept. Need truck/camper rental with hitch...

Not a real fishing question, but this is where folks in the know will read. I am going to be at Fishapalooza on the Upper Kenai in late Sept. I am bringing up my 14' raft and had reserved a full size truck rental and also rented a flat bed trailer from a forum member here. I contact Enterprise today and find out that no hitches are on the vehicles so I can't use a trailer of any kind. Glad I finally thought to call and ask as I had just assumed the truck had a class III. Now I need a secondary choice.

One option is to strap the raft on top of the truck, but I worry about safely doing this on the highway. Granted, I am only going a few miles from the Russian River Campground to Sportsmans each day, then returning from Jims to the RRCG each afternoon. However, I don't want to be "that" tourist. I have this fear of my Sotar bouncing down the road and causing trouble, locals laughing, etc..

Second option, renting a truck camper in Anchorage and using that instead of the Enterprise F-150. Could sleep in it of course and leave the tent behind. Being that a bear ripped up my tent last year, an attractive option for sure. Just need to be sure the truck camper has a hitch of course. Which brings me to this question. Who should I contact about renting a truck camper in or near Anchorage. I have never rented a camper or RV before.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thought I had everything figured out. Seems not so much.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another good option may be to check on alaskaslist.com and check the rentals section. Some people have personal equipment, trailers, travel trailers, etc. that they will rent out at cheaper rates than an actual rental place. Just a thought!

Here is a camper rental place though. http://www.abcmotorhome.com/ Good luck!

Here is the alaskas list rentals section. http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...n/153_Rentals/

Thanks Bowdy. I just talked with ABC and the truck campers don't have hitches. However, they will rent me a full sized pick up truck with a hitch but it is $125 per day. That is about $700 more than the 12 day rental from Enterprise. Does anyone know of a place in Anchorage that might rent trucks with a hitch? If I can find a more reasonable price, this sounds like the best option.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan
    My truck has a hitch on it and Chucks does too.
    Just need to figure out getting the trailer down and back.
    You could contact Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground and see if he could rent you a trailer for the time you need.
    Then we can run down to Sterling and pick it up.
    Then you can rent a van to haul your stuff around and you can be the shuttle vehicle.

ahhh I misunderstood your original question and problem! I got it now, sorry I can't think of anyone who does, if I hear anything i'll let you know.

Sorry, just another thought! Rent a truck with a rack on it ( like the ones they use on construction vehicles) like a entry level fleet vehicle. Then you have plenty of metal to strap that raft too!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Dan
    My truck has a hitch on it and Chucks does too.
    Just need to figure out getting the trailer down and back.
    You could contact Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground and see if he could rent you a trailer for the time you need.
    Then we can run down to Sterling and pick it up.
    Then you can rent a van to haul your stuff around and you can be the shuttle vehicle.

I would gladly be the shuttle vehicle. I already rented the flat bed from Max. Just don't have a vehicle to tow it with. Didn't want to put anyone else out by hauling it of course. My problem and I am hoping not to rely on anyone's generousity hauling my raft. I do appreciate the gesture but don't want to impose. It would be a hastle for you to take your raft to the river, go back to the campground and pick up my trailer, etc..

Sounds like a lot of leap frogging

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I would gladly be the shuttle vehicle. I already rented the flat bed from Max. Just don't have a vehicle to tow it with. Didn't want to put anyone else out by hauling it of course. My problem and I am hoping not to rely on anyone's generousity hauling my raft. I do appreciate the gesture but don't want to impose. It would be a hastle for you to take your raft to the river, go back to the campground and pick up my trailer, etc..

Sounds like a lot of leap frogging
    Uhaul rents pick-up trucks, I bet they have hitches. Give them a call.

Will do. Thank you. Never thought about that.

Talking

Possibilites unlimited..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks man. A picture is worth a thousand words

I will call the U-haul place in Anchorage tomorrow and see what my options are.

Dan,

How did you make out? What ended up being the best deal on the vehicle you need? I'm interested because we'll probably be doing something similar next Summer.

Thanks, Jay

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    Dan,

How did you make out? What ended up being the best deal on the vehicle you need? I'm interested because we'll probably be doing something similar next Summer.

Thanks, Jay
    He ended up renting a 30' RV and I will be hauling the trailer with my truck.
    There are some super deals on RV's in September .

http://www.greatalaskaholidays.com/

I just saw this thread and dont know how I missed it. I know johns RV had the draw tight hitch system on it.

I do have a hitch but I am hauling a drift boat now not my raft so it changes things for me. Last year I could have hooked a trailor to it this year I have my own issues of hauling a trailor. Plus Im doing a couple of canyon runs and mid river trip so logistics will be a pain in the ass
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight