Thread: Best welded aluminum 16'-18' open tiller skiffs?

Default Best welded aluminum 16'-18' open tiller skiffs?

Ok I need to add to my floatilla. I am thinking about a 16-18 skiff for ocean use and deer hunting. I already have a 16' SeaArk jet boat, and a Hewescraft 220 OceanPro. There are days where an open skiff is really nice and they are great on fuel (which is always on the rise).

I am looking for something with vee to it.

Sound off now.

I am thinking maybe 16 or 17.5' North River Revenge, Stabicraft 385 or 529, I have seen a thunderjet power bolt 17', Lund, Crestliner, smokercraft, others?

Sobie2

Yes, Bayrunner and Klamath. Both are good, time-tested designs.

Default Best Skiff?

I'd say a Workskiff or Pacific Skiff when you say best. Perhaps a Lund if money is an issue.

I have a 16' revenge, and I love it. I wish I had an 18' though. It's a beefy welded boat. But, it's pretty heavy when it goes dry on a beach. If you are looking to manhandle off of a beach, you should get something like a lund. Once dry, this one isn't going anywhere.

But, I like how it's built--very solid and good welds.

check out bay weld boats out of homer he makes some nice stuff. Started out making skiffs, but now his boats go up to 36'.
    Boatless

I would have to say that the Pacific skiffs are top shelf, but you pay for it. I had an 18' Klamath and it was a great skiff. I personally would not go smaller than that. There is a big difference between the 16' and 18' models. Have you thought about picking up a used set net skiff? Those things are bomb proof. Probably too heavy to drag to the wet stuff, but they will get you through the snot.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I am not really looking for a larger boat as I already have a nice Hewescraft 22' OceanPro. I am thinking the smaller 16-18 foot range so I can put a smaller gas sippin' outboard on it. I am also not looking for custom job like a Bay Welding due to price. I am thinking $10,000 or less for just the hull.

Bayrunners have a pretty high bow for beaching but Klamaths are on the list too. I am very familiar with both but have been really liking the heavier welded boats. The Crestliner/Lund/Klamath are lighter but locally proven.

Sobie2

As said, Pacific Skiffs are the best.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Like I said, I've got the North River Revenge and love it, but at this point I think all you could do is get a used one. When I got mine, North River was still in business. The dealer said at that point they stopped making the revenge due to problems with the coast guard float test/requirements (possibly not enough flotation in it--don't know?).

Check out these boats... I have always been really interested in getting one, just havent saved up any mula lately. I might have to take a loan out, cause they look like a sweet ride.

http://www.boultonpowerboats.com/sli...ole/index.html#

Pic # 25-40 would be the one im interested in.... Tiller over console, frees up a lot of room in the boat.