Thread: abandon clamming for fishing?

Default abandon clamming for fishing?

We were going to leave in a few hours to go clamming but have heard that they are small/not best time of year etc. and I don't want to take that drive to dig baby clams; should I abandon the clamming and just go fishing instead? Or is there a chance to do both? any thoughts are appreciated. I really need food for the freezer so I'd like the next three days to produce something to eat.

Maybe clam and surf cast?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

The razor clams do seem to be rather small this year, and in this Alaskan's opinion, the beaches on this side, from Kasilof to Homer, should be shut down for a year to let them grow. I found a few big ones this June and July, but I had to look hard for them.

The silvers are entering the Kenai, and probably other pen rivers pretty hard right now. If you like to eat them, you might be better served to target them. Silvers make a darn good chowder too especially if you LIGHTLY smoke them first. Mmmmm!

Thanks for the quick responses! I do like silvers and I think they are the most fun to catch so I am going geared for both clamming and silvers since it's all down in the same region. I would have been really bummed if I would have used all that gas to go down and get small clams and no fish, which could still happen, but at least I have some hope now, thanks!