Thread: I fly A DHC2 in Australia, it used to operate in Alaska and Canada, did you fly it?

Default I fly A DHC2 in Australia, it used to operate in Alaska and Canada, did you fly it?

I fly for Cairns seaplanes in the NE on Australia on the Great Barrier Reef, we have two planes but the one I fly most was in AK before coming to OZ. I'm just interested in any info on the old girl, did you fly it, own or fix it or just used to see it about.

She is a good old machine and works hard for her living operating in rough difficult open ocean everyday. I have attached these photos I found on the web that may jog some memories.

http://www.dhc-2.com/id752.htm

Cheers

I betcha it's been repainted since it flew in Canada or Alaska. The numbers are, of course, no help.

Gotta love the Beaver. I have never piloted one, but have logged dozens of hours in them flying all over Southeast Alaska with the USFS, and worked one summer gassing, washing the windshields, and pumping the floats of three great old birds for a local air service. A great bush plane. The Otter is no slouch either.

I have seen Eleven-Alfa Whiskey around at various locations up here, but I never flew her.
    Back in June 2002 she was flipped over in Island Lake north of Kenai during a botched water landing.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Buddy of mine has ALOT of time in this bird (no he was not the one who flipped it on island lake). I have been up in it a few times. I know Doug dropped some coin on it during the rebuild. I can see if he will log in here when he gets back from across the inlet and put in a few words about the years he spent flying her.

Thanks for that, it would be good to hear some old stories or maybe see a few photos, although she is a reliable old girl, she did let me down the other day with a partial engine failure after takeoff, on inspection we found three sticking exhaust valves and one sticking inlet valve.

Now she is out of here 100hrs and the engine is like a sewing machines again, great plane.