Thread: Scope Covers

Default Scope Covers

What brand of scope covers do you all recommend?

I have Butler Creek flip ups, but they tend to not be very durable while walking through brush. Most covers I have now are Scopecoats and they stay put, just don't misplace them before you shoot.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I make them for old inner tubes, work great. yes, I am sheap.

I have used a lot of the Butler Creeks. They work well, but it seems that the newer ones are flimsier than the older ones, go figure, quality has gone down on and price goes up. I also have one set of Leupold flip opens, they are very durable and seal very well.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I bought some Butler Creek ones, and I know a lot of people like them, but I gave them away and bought some Weavers, like these: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=330107

They seem to go on and fit a range of scope sizes better, and they are clear. That way, you can leave them closed, and for a short-range urgent shot, you can shoot right through them. If you have a second to spare (such as when the game is at a longer range), pop them open for an even-better view. Out to at least 50 yds, my rifle seems to shoot accurately to where the crosshairs point with the Weaver clear caps closed. So, I don't have to leave my covers open, or if I don't and I'm being charged by a bear, I don't have to take the time to to flip them open before firing or shoot from the hip.

With the Butler ones, I felt like I had to leave them open all the time, in case I had a need to shoot quickly. That kind of defeats their purpose, IMO.

I tried the clear ones bot they didnt keep the water oot as good as the botler creek. Yea yoo lose or breakem or whatever Bot I think they keep oot the water better.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

THESE are the Best, IMO.

I got one at a Gun Show, and then bought some more. The come in different lengths, protect the scope, flip off, and the price is right.

http://scopeshieldcover.com/

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I just always use the "bikini" style ones. I found that the flip open style never really kept water out very well, and when it did get in there, it would completely fog up the lenses which made it even worse than not having anything. The "bikini" style seems to keep everything out pretty well. They aren't quite as fast as the flip style, but still not too bad. And MUCH cheaper.

I used the clear ones and really liked those, i don't recall the brand. now I use the old inner tube and am happy with that.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I have come to only use a blizzard type scope cap on the front of my scopes to keep debres and water out. The sight picture is only in focus at the scopes lowest power and thats where my scopes are untill I decide I need more magification. If you are not in need to shoot at a seconds notice the neopereme bikini types are nice due to the added protection from dings/bangs. I quit using the rear covers they were just not needed. On my 20mm and 33mm scopes the front cover has the down, and to the right side on the 33mm. Both will opon with a flick of my thumb silently and are not in the way if the gun is on my lap. I am right handed. Leupold has been seeling new scopes with the neopereme covers which I use for storge and transport even when in a case.