Thread: best rod hoice for bank fishing silvers?

Default best rod hoice for bank fishing silvers?

hopin' someone can give me a good idea of what type of spinning rod to use for bank fishin silvers? as in what is a good lenght, and what kind of weight. and also line size for both spinner fishing and bobber fishin'. thanks for all the help guys!

Quote Originally Posted by capt scott View Post
    hopin' someone can give me a good idea of what type of spinning rod to use for bank fishin silvers? as in what is a good lenght, and what kind of weight. and also line size for both spinner fishing and bobber fishin'. thanks for all the help guys!

as mentioned in a thread below...

8' uglystick med-heavy .... mid range reel... keep line under 20lb (my prefeance is 15lb mono as I find braided line and silt don't play well together)

My 14yr old son uses a 8 1/2 foot medium action spinning setup w/ 14lb mono. Casts good and works great. Cranks 'em in with the best of them.

It doesn't matter at all. Pick up the cheapest, on sale, generic stick you can find. They all do the exact same thing. A $20 rod combo does exactly the same thing as the $200 setup with a silly brand name stamped on it in China. For that matter, go cut yourself a willow and tie a string to it. So long as there is some bait on the other end, the silvers couldn't care less about your rod setup.

YMMV
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Berkley Air Buzz Ramsey IM7 Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rods 8 to 12lb

I've had a couple of these rods. They aren't the lightest rod, but hold up well. Get an 8'6" for about $70. I personally use 20lb test so that when I get the fish in I can grab the line and wrestle with them without having the line break or cut my fingers to shreds. Sometimes you can get some good deals on Craigslist also... Just my 2 cents....

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    as mentioned in a thread below...

8' uglystick med-heavy .... mid range reel... keep line under 20lb (my prefeance is 15lb mono as I find braided line and silt don't play well together)
    I concur with this, only I use braided Daiwa Dendoh line. Pricey stuff, but strong, limp, and thin. Casts a mile, which contrary to some beliefs can come in handy when the school of silvers is 75 yards off-shore and most folks can only cast half the distance.

Being that you live near Lake Erie, I suspect you will be flying your gear up. We do the same of course and I bought several travel rods from Cabelas a few years back. The ones we got are the XML pack spinning rods and they are very high quality. Ours are three piece and come in a hard tube that will fit in a large duffle bag. Cabelas also sells a less expensive pack rod called the Fish Eagle II. In either case, look at the 7' medium rod. We have used this with great success for silvers in Alaska. We put Daiwa SS Tournament reels with 14 lb line on ours. Great set up and unlike most other choices, this set up flies well. For lures, think pink. Blue Fox Vibrax and Mepps inline spinners are my choice. If you order directly from the Mepps website, you can order with single hooks. A requirement on many rivers and does less damage to the fish in all rivers.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanks dan that helps me out alot! i am going to cabelas on saturday. also any ideas on what flies to bring with me? thanks man!

the smaller the better, it is way more fun. However you have to keep in mind casting distance, but I love me a silver fight on my 6 ft rod I think I use 12lb test. It's a St Croix I bought out of cabela's but it is a bait caster. Any rod medium action that can handle 10-17 lbs test is all that is needed. That will get you buy on any river, and even salt if you go trolling for them. The important thing is to bring lots get lots of bait and lots of spinners/pixxies.