Thread: First salmon shark experience?

Default First salmon shark experience?

Had what I believe to be a salmon shark hit my halibut long-line. Set out around Knight island on the eastern side, area I've fished many times before at about 35-45 fathoms. Soaked about 6 hours on Saturday. Pulling it up I knew we had some big fish, turns out the weight was becuase it was compleaty tangled up. Had 4 halibut each around 25-40, 4 big cod and a couple yellow eye. The skate was compleatly wrapped up, front to back. My chum bag was shreded. Looking at each fish and they all had scrapes and teeth marks, a couple of the cod had chunks gone around their heads. The last gangion line was cut right in half, not snapped but certainly cut. I've caught fish in the high 200's on this setup and have never seen a snapped line or the general destruction that was done here. Sure sounds like shark to me, any other ideas?

My other skate had a real nice 130 lb halibut on it, was a good day in PWS again.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Could've been a salmon shark, but at 40 fathoms, it might have been a six gill. Salmon sharks are usually higher in the water column, following schools of salmon. Six gill sharks are normally found quite deep. But even at 40 fathoms, that's a bit shallow for a six gill.

Not saying it was not a Salmon Shark but normally do not see them much deeper then 100 feet. Also a Salmon Shark will take most things and bite them completely thru. As far as the line more likely to see the line wore thru like it was hit with sand paper then a bite thru. Salmon Sharks will tend to roll when hooked/caught.

Here is a good frontal pic of 2 small ones.

Attachment 37402

sleeper shark more likely than salmon or sixgill.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Trapperbob caught a sleeper last year...I don't recall the depth though. Dave, what's your experience with the sleeper sharks?

It could of been salmon shark as we have them in Prince William Sound at over 400 ft. They like getting deep on the drop offs and coming up fast on the salmon. It really looks neat when they come flying out of the water with a salmon in their jaws. Sleeper sharks have been caught in less than 100ft of water around Green Island.

What size anchors where you using? I would but my bet on a sleeper shark by the sounds of how tangled the gear was. I believe that sleepers are a bit more methodical and over time can and will reek havoc on longlines, especially a short one. What did the teeth marks look like?

I had a salmon shark grab a 50lb butt last year while I was spot fishing. The fish was coming up like a normal butt then wham! Thought I had a world record but on for a few minutes. The shark finally let go and I landed the fish. The shark bit the butt right in the middle and it was bleeding bad on both sides, I could see each tooth mark. I had to cut off about 10lbs of meat because it was bloodshot. I can't imagine biting a 50lb butt in the middle that shark must have ended up with a hell of a headache.

Nothing worse than half of a great fish!
    Check this one out from Maui.
    http://www.extremefishingmaui.com/blog/?p=519

I have caught plenty of salmon sharks in 50fm of water. it seems like Sleepers destroy your gear more like what you described. I caught one in Nuka, on a long line that was probabaly close to 800 pounds. My father in law caught one in Seward that was over 1200...There is a photo of it in the Artic Burgermaster in Anchorage.
    Salmon Sharks are called Herring Sharks in Japan. when the salmon leave and before they come those sharks feed on herring deeper that what you see them way up in the Sound.