Thread: Dominant eye? Got new BB gun for my daughter

Question Dominant eye? Got new BB gun for my daughter

I just got my daughter a lever action Daisy BB gun (the lever, safety, and trigger are made of plastic). She is left eye dominant. Should she start out shooting ‘left handed?’
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I think you know the answer. Although many people think that left/right handed governs how you shoot, it is actually, as you have pointed out, eye dominance that should govern it. If your daughter is truly left eye dominant then yes she should shoot left handed.
    However, if she is very right-hand dominant, it can be difficult to train to shoot left handed. And as you are no doubt aware, the selection of left-handed firearms is not as great as that for right-handed shooters (when she is older).
    Without wishing to force her to be right eye dominant, you may wish to try her with a patch over the left eye (if she is right handed). See how she shoots and try her left-handed to see how she manipulates the bb-gun.
    I assume she is quite young, so she should be easy to train either way.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    She is left eye dominant. Should she start out shooting ‘left handed?’
    Yes.

Eye dominance in kids is hard to overcome. She can train herself to shoot right handed as an adult a lot easier than you can when she's a kid.

Yes!

My father was right handed, but left eye dominant, so he shot left handed.

My youngest son somehow developed a weird habbit, he's right handed and right eye dominant, but would shoot right handed and tilt his head over to aim with his left eye. I think it was due to his poor vision, now that he shoots with his glasses, he uses his right eye to aim.

Anyhow, start all kids out properly, with guns that fit them and teach them good form with whatever eye they are dominant with. The red riders aren't a bad way to start kids out. The accuracy is so-so, but you can setup targets at 10 yds and they'll start to learn the basics, and have fun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes!

start all kids out properly, with guns that fit them and teach them good form with whatever eye they are dominant with. The red riders aren't a bad way to start kids out. The accuracy is so-so, but you can setup targets at 10 yds and they'll start to learn the basics, and have fun at the same time.
    I use balloons as a target and they love shooting those
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have a righty that shoots lefty also... rifle and BOW!... what a shot she has turned into...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot left handed. Both my kids seem to have turned out that way as well. My son is fairly ambidextrous as am I. But my daughter. Well you could cut her left arm off and she would never miss it. I started having her shoot lefty and to my surprise it was very easy and natural for her. I noticed it when she was shooting her bow and had her swap to lefty and she started hitting the target very well.

My reccomendation is to let the eye decide. Nowdays, just about every manufacturer makes a left handed model rifle ('cept for semis). The only drawback I have found is shopping for youth models and shopping the used market. But a bit of work with a saw and a lathe and a full size ruger 7mm-08 becomes a fine youth rifle.

Regards

I'd let her shoot lefthanded too. My older brother was left eye dominant when a kid and dad made him shoot right handed. He shot his Daisy Pal with only his right hand on the gun and his left hand over his dominant eye. I remember how frustrated he got. He eventually became able to sight with his right eye but I don't think it was worth it. I could see a kid getting frustrated enough to want to back away from it.

It was only in the last few years a friend help me realize I too had that problem.
    I was then able to identify that in my oldest son who is learning to shoot.
    I have had him try left handed some and I think he may make that his permanent choice.
    bench shooting with a bolt is not a big deal with an "wrong handed" gun so there is no cost to just swap shoulders and go for it. (assuming you already have a the gun)

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I just got my daughter a lever action Daisy BB gun (the lever, safety, and trigger are made of plastic). She is left eye dominant. Should she start out shooting ‘left handed?’
    Absolutely, yes. The other option will do her a great disservice.