Thread: Other than Jim Creek for Silvers?

Default Other than Jim Creek for Silvers?

I've been to Jim Creek a number of times over the past few years. While there are always plenty of people there, some engaging in varied ethically challenged activities (as noted several places and not intended to be part of this thread), it hasn't really bothered me too much. I show up, catch and release a few silvers, take my two, and head home.

I did not make it out there last year, though, due to work having me out of town.

In light of the discussions noted on recent threads, and my new (first one, newlyweds) wife's desire to learn to fish, where else would one go to soak some eggs or flash some pixies for fall silvers? We live in Eagle River, and going north is much preferred to going south.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Well there are lots of options. Do you have a distance you would like to drive?

Going north on the glenn parks the closest would be the eklutna trailraces off the old glenn (Tends to be slow). Then there is rabbit slough, cotton wood creek and fish creek. ( I have had good luck at cotton wood in past years and intermittent luck at fish) I think those three are weekend fisheries. (I am not sure about rabbit)
    then there is the little su, which I have heard some good reports about this year. (my fishing there has been intermittent)
    After that you have the Su drainages Willow, little willow, sheep, caswell, kashwitna, goose montana. I may not have the order right. These creeks can be really good.

Eklutna Tailrace is the immediate alternate to Jim Creek. easy access. friendly crowd, technically non-challenging, good place to practice casting and the basics, to actually catch fish get there very early in the morning (i.e. 3 to 4 am) to get a decent spot.

Weekend only fisheries include Fish, Wasilla creek and Cottonwood. never fished any of them myself but expect tidal conditions and lots of mud.

Ship Creek SHOULD be hopping right now... but isn't for some odd reason show up 2 hours before high tide and plan to stay for 2 hours after.

Bird Creek SHOULD be hoppin as well... again but reports are kinda dismal.

Report below suggests Portage should be good... you probably need a canoe and two cars to make that worthwhile however. again it will be tidal.

any of the parks streams... Willow, Sheep, Montana, Rabideux... etc... get a highway angler book to steer you in the right direction... all will be combat fishing... Silvers bite best first thing in the morning.

Little Su - has a few spots that you can fish from shore... although most successful by boat. (1/2 day guides on little su are very reasonably priced and will likely have you limited out in under an hour) Actually thinking about it that might be ideal.... several of the little su guides will offer water taxi service up and back to a private silver hole for under $50. -take bear and bug spray, and a picnic.... and since you should have your limit fairly quickly that would leave the rest of the day to your imagination. *hint... hint... nudge... nudge*...)

Sierra hit the nail right on the head!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    I've been to Jim Creek a number of times over the past few years. While there are always plenty of people there, some engaging in varied ethically challenged activities (as noted several places and not intended to be part of this thread), it hasn't really bothered me too much. I show up, catch and release a few silvers, take my two, and head home.

I did not make it out there last year, though, due to work having me out of town.

In light of the discussions noted on recent threads, and my new (first one, newlyweds) wife's desire to learn to fish, where else would one go to soak some eggs or flash some pixies for fall silvers? We live in Eagle River, and going north is much preferred to going south.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    if I was you I would drive north.........hit the mouth of sheep, montana, sunshine, or places furhter north around the 100 mile markers, there will be less people, decent places to soak eggs or cast. I live in ER as well and I prefer to head past talkeetna to fish any more. I was up there this past weekend at montana, fishing was pretty good for every thing but silvers. I didn't see any in the streams. The little su should be a point of intrest as well here in the near future. People can tell you were to go to give you a good starting point but looking around is the best way to go, and make sure you have a good pair of glasses so you can see whats in the water.

i love jim creek, where else can you go and see hundreds of people lining up on the banks and catching fish anyway possible. Legal or illegal. I find it funny to watch. Also you see all kinds of people, the wealthy, trailer trash, young old all together in one spot. Best off is standing in the water and listening to dirt bikes and atvs running by the river kicking up dust and flooring their engines as they buzz by. But the best is to stand and here the sound of iraq in the morning with guys on the other side of the sand dunes popping or rounds an rounds of ammo just for the hell of it. As i tell people i love jim creek, simply because even if the fish arent biting the entertainment value is priceless.

husker just described jim perfectly!! lol. i went out friday night and was slow for me then went out monday and did well. and either saturday night or sunday night the hooligans found another car to bring out there and shoot up. if you ever see and green dodge dakota with kwack killn crew sticker on front window stop on by.

No kidding. I've been out there enough to know what I'm getting in to.

My wife and I will be heading in there on Saturday morning. Probably won't drive across Jim, though, just park on the bank. Charcoal Grey Ford F-350 Crew Cab. I'll be in Simm's chest waders up near the sand dune patiently explaining to my beautiful bride in the standard Alaska Green Hip Waders why she has to keep her thumb on the spool when she casts my baitcaster!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKdreamn View Post
    No kidding. I've been out there enough to know what I'm getting in to.

My wife and I will be heading in there on Saturday morning. Probably won't drive across Jim, though, just park on the bank. Charcoal Grey Ford F-350 Crew Cab. I'll be in Simm's chest waders up near the sand dune patiently explaining to my beautiful bride in the standard Alaska Green Hip Waders why she has to keep her thumb on the spool when she casts my baitcaster!!
    I am sure you will be showing her why after that.................LOL

Quote Originally Posted by huskerhav View Post
    i love jim creek, where else can you go and see hundreds of people lining up on the banks and catching fish anyway possible. Legal or illegal. I find it funny to watch. Also you see all kinds of people, the wealthy, trailer trash, young old all together in one spot. Best off is standing in the water and listening to dirt bikes and atvs running by the river kicking up dust and flooring their engines as they buzz by. But the best is to stand and here the sound of iraq in the morning with guys on the other side of the sand dunes popping or rounds an rounds of ammo just for the hell of it. As i tell people i love jim creek, simply because even if the fish arent biting the entertainment value is priceless.
    I was there last week when the water was high and some guy was pulling his kids on an innertube behind his truck in the shallow water. I would guess he was doing a good 20+ MPH.