Thread: Is selling that tanned bear hide really an option?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Is selling that tanned bear hide really an option?

Just got the price back from my 6 foot fall bear, and have to wonder why anyone would have thought that by allowing the sale of a bear hide, would have led to a market hunting situation.....

BBear Taxidermy Tanned/double oiled..........$237.00
    Profit/handling/salt/labor-packaging
    Identification, etc........................................$100.00
    Remove all toe bones/labor...........................$25.00
    Flesh Bear/All/Salted/Patrially salt Locked...$105.00
    Shipping down and return.............................$87.00

Sub-total/Hide Tanning...............................$544.00

Skull trophy/Contracted Unline Services
    and shipping on skull.................................$215.00

Grand Total............................................. ..$759.00
    and at best i could get ... what?? $300.00

good thing i have little interest in that side of things....

"If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

your best bet to try to make any money would be to try to sell it just salt dried....but really there is no market there either
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

215 for skull is alot! bones and bugs in kodiak does a black for half that

Those prices are high and the price alone for the skull cleaning is a joke. There's a member on this forum from Anchorage that does it for like $75 w/beetles and the skulls come out great.

If you have a pressure washer, or know of a friend w/one, you can do your skull for as little as $20. It'll take you no more than 1hr on the cleaning and then you can degrees in a 5 gal bucket of H2O and dawn over night, let dry and then put it in a bucket of 40-50% Hydrogen Peroxide cut by 1/3 water over night and then put out in the sun until it whitens up, usually one day will do it. We have 6 I have done and they are just as good looking as the taxidermist.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    If you have a pressure washer, or know of a friend w/one, you can do your skull for as little as $20. It'll take you no more than 1hr on the cleaning and then you can degrees in a 5 gal bucket of H2O and dawn over night, let dry and then put it in a bucket of 40-50% Hydrogen Peroxide cut by 1/3 water over night and then put out in the sun until it whitens up, usually one day will do it. We have 6 I have done and they are just as good looking as the taxidermist.
    Will look good for a week until the grease leaches out of the bone and turns alot of it a dingy yellow!

Just got two skulls back from Skulls Unlimited a Brown (7' bear) and Black (5 & 1/2' bear) not sure on skull size with shipping and their bio fees was right at $302. Sent the hides in after I fleshed, salted and dried the hides to http://www.moytown.com/ not sure how they will look but recommended by others at a fraction of the cost that I could find in Anchorage.