Thread: Kenai Silver Rigs

Default Kenai Silver Rigs

What's the preferred rig for anchoring up on the Kenai for silvers now? Tried the old standby spin and glo with a glob of eggs, but didn't have much luck. People were catching, but all we landed was a big king. How about hook size, leader length, other ideas?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Eggs under a float are pretty much the goto bait in my books when fishing bait that is.

I use either no float or a small earplug with a hole in it right next to the hook. 4/0 gammy, 24 inch leader, 2 or 3 ounce lead. Back bounce it, let em eat it, kill em. I use my weight on a slider on the main line as well.

Lower Kenai River:
    Gamakatsu 2/0 hook (octopus I think), snell loop on a 18-24" leader. 1 small bead and a small spin-n-glow or cork ball spinner. Weight on a slider above your leader. Keep your bait fresh and your hooks sharp. I personally tie up a bunch and change the hook / leader every fish. Probably not necessary. Change bait often (every 10-15 minutes or so). This has been successful for me since the early '70s. Others' results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Lower Kenai River:
    Gamakatsu 2/0 hook (octopus I think), snell loop on a 18-24" leader. 1 small bead and a small spin-n-glow or cork ball spinner. Weight on a slider above your leader. Keep your bait fresh and your hooks sharp. I personally tie up a bunch and change the hook / leader every fish. Probably not necessary. Change bait often (every 10-15 minutes or so). This has been successful for me since the early '70s. Others' results may vary.

Been doing this since the 80's, but yesterday the boats above me and below me were catching fish, and we just had a few hits.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Well, I think we've all been there. Where were you fishing? How was the water clarity? If there aren't many fish coming up, sometimes if your not right in "the line", you'll get blanked. I know it's happened to me. I move in or out or somewhere else.