Thread: Dooglas Is Hnters have a laagh on me !

Talking Dooglas Is Hnters have a laagh on me !

Hehe the rangfinder said 420 to be exact. I jist start laaghing and packed my tent and left lol. There was Real nice one with head gear a lot higher than this one way too far op and walked arond the ridge pretty fast after I showed myself in the drainage trying sneak on my spike lol. Yeah it ws a pot shot I dont hardy shoot the 7mm I have. I shot aboot a foot high.looool I held over the shoolder aboot the length of the his neck aboot 16 inches. I dont think I mised by moch. I saw the the brosh throw chonks right behind his head. Bot man I was hffin and pffin. It jost kept looking to see what happened and walked off aboot ten yrds bot I didnt try again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty country for blacktail hunting.

Cool diagram, from the looks of the pic you may have been 420 yards line of sight but the horizontal distance was more like 300-320. Depending on your zero distance you would have been money if you would have held high on the shoulder. Definitely better to practice at those distances but I admittedly rarely do and have taken animals that were well beyond my regular practice range so can't really condemn the practice without being hypocritical. At the very least a decent understanding of your rifles ballistics with the load chosen should be taken into account. As a general rule I don't like to take a shot unless I can put cross hairs on fur and if I am in the mountains trying to judge for elevation then then that rule is even more important.

Ya mean, you didn't see me in the rocks above that deer? I was up there trying to close the distance.

No really......That deer likely had you pegged and you didn't stand much of a chance of getting closer.

Suggestions.....Lay down get your breathing settled. Admit you can't get closer, settle in and see what happens. I agree that the actual shooting distance is indeed less than your rangefinder distance. At that range you'll also have some windage issues, albeit minimal.

Sorry you didn't connect. Think of it this way. You didn't have to clean that animal in the rocks on a cliff. Better luck next time.

Textbook area for bucks. Next year, change your approach and get in a position where you can get a good look what is in that area at an ethical range, without blowing them out.

The deer doesn't move. My buddy saw him on the same spot last tuesday. And the one with nice head gear was up there too. They know how to stay safe. If a deer wants to make it more than a year on Douglas he's gotta be smart.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I think the main reason I missed is coz I jmped the gn this year and didnt do any range time yet like I normally do before season. most of the time I shoot aroond 200 rnds sighting in and playin with loads on my other rifles before season starts. I had this one 4 inches high at 100. With the 170grn fed. fsion. It doesnt like the stoff anyway. No matter how close Igot to the base of his side of the hill I coold still see an ear or an eye or the nose. That spikey is pretty safe there. I was trying to get vertical from where I sot from I woolda had a perfect sidehill advantage and prob 100yds closer. He didnt start getting nervos till I was in/oot of his sight then he stood op and wanted to move. Like I said its like goat hnting. Or at least good practice for it. Yoo really need to get above them or they will see yoo. That pic was opener day. So he was still there2 days after I lobbed one at him. I also bmped oot a real nice forky sat aboot noon on the way op the day before. Broadside at 150yds In a spot where I always expected to see one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Ya mean, you didn't see me in the rocks above that deer? I was up there trying to close the distance.

No really......That deer likely had you pegged and you didn't stand much of a chance of getting closer.

Suggestions.....Lay down get your breathing settled. Admit you can't get closer, settle in and see what happens. I agree that the actual shooting distance is indeed less than your rangefinder distance. At that range you'll also have some windage issues, albeit minimal.

Sorry you didn't connect. Think of it this way. You didn't have to clean that animal in the rocks on a cliff. Better luck next time.
    I saw ya. I was wonderin who was wearing the safety orange speedo and camo hat.lol Thooght yoo woold shove him off for me. shhes. I have made a coople really good shots at that range with my 300 win. Oh well. I dont every have high expectations op there. The only reason I went opening is coz Everbody on hear talkin I jst wanted to get in on fon lool. I saw 3 bcks in a day and a half thats almost as good as ponching a tag on dooglas. Another ya gotta be carefll those hills are steeper than they look. And danger slick. I got on slope op there once that I cooldnt get back down too steep. And ended op climbing vertical 30ft cliff with lots of brsh growing on it. I was scared sh---tless. I almost had to toss my rifle to get oot of that mess. The brsh was growing straight oot And I had to fight way throo it to get op the cliff. Still gives me the willies.

I know that is a BS story, Horse only wears the speedo in town.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Textbook area for bucks. Next year, change your approach and get in a position where you can get a good look what is in that area at an ethical range, without blowing them out.
    I was hoping the thread wasnt gonna get all serios. In my opinon 420yds is ethical range for a skilled and prepared honter with a 7mmag. 99% of the time thats me. I blew shot coz I wasnt prepared. By that I mean range practice for the season like I always do. I got exited this year. No biggie. I dont have to wait till next year I can go tomarrow! I dont care who yoo are or how old or experienced everybody will miss or woond an animal sometime or another. I have never hit a deer that wasnt recovered shortly after ever. I am capable of making that shot. Another thing I never yoose a rangefinder till this time. False confidence from piece of plastic with a battery in it. Ill leave it at hom from now on.

I was on a rockpile in december aboot 50yds off the beach seperated By water on admiralty coople winters ago. There was a bock way down the beach. I scoped the 3x2 deer and knew it was at the end of my reach. Then the deer qrtrd away for another 50 or soo yards. He stopped I was ready sqeezed. I held for back hair jost inside the shoolder blade And hit jost the top and rear of the shoolderblade. lights oot. When my pickop arrived to get me and the raft my friend ranged it at 390. It was blowing at least 25 it was 10 deg oot And I was soaked frow rowing the raft in 3 ft chop. I have also shot goat at 400+ and parked the 3 roonds in the shoolder to get him down with a 270 made in the sixties. Please go Easy with the big E-word. Missing a shot doesnt make it an non ethical shot.. Thats what I think anyways. I know my limits and respect them. Yoor limits may be different and I can respect that too. I am an ethical well experianced hnter and shooter and take pride in that fact. And I also expect all other gamesman too be the same also.
    OK Il at least ask for retort on this. Why was the shot not ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I know that is a BS story, Horse only wears the speedo in town.
    And you know that because...................?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post

I I blew shot coz I wasnt prepared.

OK Il at least ask for retort on this. Why was the shot not ethical?
    "A man's gotta know his limitations".
    Ethics are too subjective for judgement. But each of us know what is ethical and what is not, at the time we are challenged by a possibility.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Why was the shot not ethical?
    I wasnt prepared.
    Anytime you pull the trigger on a shot you aren't prepared for it can easily be construed as "unethical". Just saying.

Also.. think about your original post.. it was practically begging for the ethics police. I mean.. Hardly even one week into season, you're dropping the hammer on 350+ yard shots on a spike with a rifle you don't even shoot a lot... not to mention in SE Sub-Alpine where it's brushy, nasty weather and all around not very ideal shooting conditions.

Myself.. I wasn't there. It's your call, your judgement, but you asked the question.

You were right......It was Bighorse.......I've seen him in Sitka, in his SPEEDO'S.....he has a color for every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Anytime you pull the trigger on a shot you aren't prepared for it can easily be construed as "unethical". Just saying.

Also.. think about your original post.. it was practically begging for the ethics police. I mean.. Hardly even one week into season, you're dropping the hammer on 350+ yard shots on a spike with a rifle you don't even shoot a lot... not to mention in SE Sub-Alpine where it's brushy, nasty weather and all around not very ideal shooting conditions.

Myself.. I wasn't there. It's your call, your judgement, but you asked the question.

No hard feelings yoors and one above are honest criticism and respectfil. I was kinda shooting that Qestion at 270. Sometimes ya jis dont know. I felt in control of the shot. Im not going to deny my self confidence and abilities on a shot if I feel good aboot. That woold be silly. Never gonna shoot a deer that way. The time of season nor is the terrain the reason I missed I grew In S.E. here im in good shape I know the land its hazards as good or better than most. Its a 2.5 hr hike where I was straight op and I did in the rain with a pack foll gear loaded for 3 days. I camped in the downpoor and enjoyed every minite of it with jetboil coffee and a clean pair a socks to boot. The terrain and weather is normal for os were osed to it here. I had very good shooting conditions No son glare no wind and A 10 ton rock for a rest. I had a good night sleep in the tent with in sight of the deer. The animal was broadside with no interferance from the terrain. I most likely woold have bagged him Had I done like always and yoos personal jodgement on the range instead of yoosing the rangefinder. And trost me I pass on the shots where im too shaky or jist cant get comfortable or settle down offhand or on a rest. I came here admitted the lack of prep (practice for the season.) Yes bot That didnt sink in ontil after the fact. Its kinda fnny ya show a little homility or weekness or homblness aboot a mistake that was a clean miss and all the sdden im ethically challenged or something. Like I said before there isnt a hnter alive that hasnt made trajectory mistake for whatever the reason. OR? Am the only one? lolol I didnt empty the dam rifle at him either. I shot I missed im not ethical. Forever branded with shame and gilt. For admitting it. And as always I learned from the experience. Wow folks need to relax.

Taking a 420yd shot, while huffing and puffing, with a rifle that you aren't familiar with, at a SPIKE. You can do whatever you want, I was giving you a little nudge in the right direction so you can enjoy success. 420yds is a chip shot for some guys, but I have a feeling you aren't one of them.

BTW,

With the 175gr Factory Fusions, with a muzzle velocity of 2760, a BC of .537, and sighted in 4" high, you would have had a holdover of around 9-13 inches, depending on the angle of that shot. I suggest you spend some time on www.jbmballistics.com to see exactly what your rifle is going to do at longer ranges.

Puzzles me why you are shooting longer ranges with a factory load your rifle doesn't like though..

Default Bighorse

With a name like Bighorse would you wear anything other than a Speedo?

I do have a long history of competive swimming and waterpolo. There are a few suits next to my front door and I do use the pool for training purposes. It's much nicer on my knees than actually humpin' up hills all year.

Funny how this thread digressed. Oh well.

I think the main reason I missed is coz I jmped the gn this year and didnt do any range time yet like I normally do before season. most of the time I shoot aroond 200 rnds sighting in and playin with loads on my other rifles before season starts. I had this one 4 inches high at 100. With the 170grn fed. fsion. It doesnt like the stoff anyway. No matter how close Igot to the base of his side of the hill I coold still see an ear or an eye or the nose. That spikey is pretty safe there. I was trying to get vertical from where I sot from I woolda had a perfect sidehill advantage and prob 100yds closer. He didnt start getting nervos till I was in/oot of his sight then he stood op and wanted to move. Like I said its like goat hnting. Or at least good practice for it. Yoo really need to get above them or they will see yoo. That pic was opener day. So he was still there2 days after I lobbed one at him. I also bmped oot a real nice forky sat aboot noon on the way op the day before. Broadside at 150yds In a spot where I always expected to see one.
    You should lay off the sauce before posting.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

lol...he does look like he's on crack, but its just that his "U" key is not working...