Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which .375?

Default Which .375?

OK, I'll be home from the super-heated sandbox in a few weeks, so I'll have some deployment money coming. I am thinking I need a .375, but as always I'm having a heck of a time deciding which to buy. If Winchester would just bring back the stainless/sythetic version in .375 H&H I would be set, but so far no luck on that. So I'm looking for some advice. Here are my preferences:

1. weather resistant (stainless and synthetic would be perfect)
    2. huntable weight (say 9 lbs or less)
    3. 24" barrel or less
    4. I prefer for the safety to lock the bolt closed--but doesn't necessarily have to be 3 position
    5. not too sure about detachable magazines.
    6. must have iron sights.
    7. I'm not absolutely stuck on CRF, but it would be nice

So with that in mind, here are all of the options that I know about. Deployment money is not enough to finance a custom rig, and these are all the factory options I can come up with.

--Browning A-bolt (don't care for the X-bolts). But in order to get a 24" barrel (vs. 26") you have to get the BOSS which I don't particularly want
    --CZ 550. 25" barrel and weighs almost 10 lbs. No stainless steel but now has a Kevlar stock as an option
    --Kimber Talkeetna--meets all the requirements above but seems pretty expensive at $2100 retail. Also heard some bad stuff on here about Kimbers...
    --Remington XCR or XCR II. Meets most of the criteria above, except safety doesn't lock the bolt closed and not CRF. Also a bit leery of their extractor...
    --Ruger Hawkeye--not in the running...been there, done that, got my money back...
    --Sako Kodiak. Hmmm...detachable mag and seems a bit expensive at $1700+ (actual prices on Gunbroker.com)
    --Weatherby Mark V Synthetic (or Fibermark). No iron sights from the factory or stainless option. But could order with sights and Cera-kote.
    --Winchester Safari Express. Not weather resistant and at upper end of weight range. Does anyone make a good synthetic stock for it?

So which would you choose (or did choose) and why? I am also looking in the used market but so far unsuccessfully. This will be my all-purpose "globetrotter" rifle (hopefully I'll get a chance to do some globe-trotting with something other than an M-9/M-16). Thank you for your inputs.

C04hoosier - First off hope you have safe travels and thank you for your service. I like the CZ for the money but as you've said it is heavy. For a few hundred dollars you could send it off for your choice of more weather resistance finish and hopefully still be money ahead. It's overbuilt, affordable and meets most of the criteria you mention - except for the finish. Good luck with your choice and safe travels.

You might look for a used M70 in stainless/ synthetic... they do pop up from time to time but they are few and far between.

You could try a Montana 1999 barreled action that you drop into the synthetic stock of your choice. Not a full custom but at least you could buy it in pieces as you can and get exactly what you want.

Try a straight up rebarrel of a an existing action (700s and Mk Vs have the length) and add sights like NECG.

The new Sako looks great, haven't talked to any actual owners yet.
    Talked to a couple of owners of Kimber Talkeetnas. They both liked the ones they had FWIW and it comes the closest to meeting your requirements.

Hope you get back soon and start playing with recreational rifles instead of work rifles.

H&H....Kimber Talkeetna......Ruger.....Hawkeye Alaskan with the new weather resistant coating. Both are excellent for their chambering!

Brett

c04hoosier, you coming home to ANC or FAI?

Anyone: is factory ammo pretty easy to find around town for the 375 Ruger?
    Handy looking rifle and crf too.

If I were out to buy a new 375 I would choose the CZ hands down. More features for the money than any other offering listed. Good trigger, excellent sights, integral scope mounts, deep magazine, an action long enough for 375 and designed that way,CRF, bolt locking safety, a little extra weight just makes it easier to shoot. And I like longer barrels, but you can always shorten one you think is too long. Plus I'm fond of blued steel and walnut.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

6XLeech, unfortunately I don't live in Alaska any more. Uncle Sam moved me to Arkansas. But I maintain my residency in AK and continue to look forward to the next time I can make it up there.

Hodgeman, I thought about the Montana 1999 route but not sure how much that would cost overall by the time I bought the action, stock, had iron sights added, etc. Do you have a rough guesstimate? I'm also keeping my eye open for a used M70 stainless. There are a few out there but most have some modification such as sights removed or muzzle brake added...

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, and keep them coming. So far it looks like the CZ is in the lead, with the Kimber in 2nd place.

I have been drooling over the Kimber Talkeetna for a while now. Especially since I got my Kimber Montana. Seems like the Talkeetna would make a perfect mentor for my Montana in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program I am attempting to start in my gun safe.

Hope you get home safe and soon.

I really like the Sako Kodiak! But, at less than half the price I found a used Sako AV with 20" barrel....blued/walnut.

Pretty much owned most of them and currently still have a lefty Ruger 375 and a lefty CZ 550 H&H.

Remington - nice rifles but have slowly moved away from push feeds. Dislike there triggers as they ice up while hunting in sub freezing rain and snow conditions. If not hunting on Kodiak or similar places would be ok.

MRC - Great actions, drop one in a McMillan stock and for about $1,500 you have a stainless rig that is designed for Alaska. Have to add iron sights to it as well.

CZ - Great rifles, pretty good sights, built in scope bases similar to Ruger, and they will hold 5 down. Disadvantages are they are a little heavy and bulky. Blued finish but wax can help protect that. For a right handed person you can pick one of these up used for $800-900, maybe less.

Ruger - I love mine, but you hated your's, lol. Anyhow the Alaskan is still a great buy and has decent irons and built in bases.

Sako - Nice, smoother than the Remington 700's but still a push feed.

Not really insulting the push feeds, just my personal preference has evolved to CRF.

If I had to pick just one? CZ 550.

Don't give up on the Win 70 stainless. They are still floating around and prices have dropped big time. First Stop Guns just sold one NIB for under $1K in the last couple of weeks. Prices of most of the big bore Winchesters has tanked in the last couple of months because the new model 70's in 375, 416 and 458 are hitting the dealers and they are going for about $1,200.
    Tennessee

The Sako Kodiak is a darn nice rifle and the magazine is very secure, as in not going to fall out. The mag can also be loaded in a conventional method from the top without removing it. While it's not a huge deal to me the Kodiak is actually a CRF design. While I don't own any of the models you listed I have handled all of them and I was especially taken by the Sako.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I have been drooling over the Kimber Talkeetna for a while now. Especially since I got my Kimber Montana. Seems like the Talkeetna would make a perfect mentor for my Montana in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program I am attempting to start in my gun safe.
    Sounds like an admirable plan!!!

Default Remington 700 XCR

Well,

I was in the same spot you are, several years ago. I went with the remington xcr in 375 H&H. I went to a range with a moving target to simulate a bear charge. 3 rounds in less then 4 seconds, with no miss feeds or issues. Pick whichever, but you can get a good price on a remington.

Ron

If you are thinking of hunting Africa I would make sure I stuck with the 375 H&H. Although I myself feel there are some other good 375"s the ammo is probably hard if not impossible to find in other countries. I am planning a plains game hunt in Namibia in 2012 and will use my 338 win. The ammo is available in that country. I also found out that the airlines makes you pack your ammo separate from your weapon so you could get there without one or the other. I may take a second rifle and it will be a 7x57 mauser. Lenny

I recently went throught the same process as you are going through now. Most of my criteria was the same as yours.

I chose the Talkeetna. I did have some feed issues at first but the engineer at Kimber helped me and we got it worked out. My issue caused a slight redesign on the Talkeetna magazine follower and spring. The rifles are now coming out of the factory with this new design so I would say this is fixed. Mine feeds like a dream now.

As far as the price you can find a Talkeetna for about $300 less (1800) if you look around.

They are very nice rifles and I do like mine. It had all of the options that were important to me. Remember the Talkeetna holds 4+1 so that is a nice feature as well.

Now I am in a similar situation as Alaska Lanche, but I am drolling over the Talkeetnas little brother the 84M.

Good luck

There is now a new name in town when it comes to the .375 Ruger. I handled a Howa in stainless with the Hogue stock at Sportsman's last week 24" barrel too. It felt quite light to me and had a great trigger. Spoke to several who said it is basically a Weatherby Vanguard. Best of all....well under $600.00.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    OK, I'll be home from the super-heated sandbox in a few weeks, so I'll have some deployment money coming. I am thinking I need a .375, but as always I'm having a heck of a time deciding which to buy. If Winchester would just bring back the stainless/sythetic version in .375 H&H I would be set, but so far no luck on that. So I'm looking for some advice. Here are my preferences:

1. weather resistant (stainless and synthetic would be perfect)
    2. huntable weight (say 9 lbs or less)
    3. 24" barrel or less
    4. I prefer for the safety to lock the bolt closed--but doesn't necessarily have to be 3 position
    5. not too sure about detachable magazines.
    6. must have iron sights.
    7. I'm not absolutely stuck on CRF, but it would be nice

So with that in mind, here are all of the options that I know about. Deployment money is not enough to finance a custom rig, and these are all the factory options I can come up with.

--Browning A-bolt (don't care for the X-bolts). But in order to get a 24" barrel (vs. 26") you have to get the BOSS which I don't particularly want
    --CZ 550. 25" barrel and weighs almost 10 lbs. No stainless steel but now has a Kevlar stock as an option
    --Kimber Talkeetna--meets all the requirements above but seems pretty expensive at $2100 retail. Also heard some bad stuff on here about Kimbers...
    --Remington XCR or XCR II. Meets most of the criteria above, except safety doesn't lock the bolt closed and not CRF. Also a bit leery of their extractor...
    --Ruger Hawkeye--not in the running...been there, done that, got my money back...
    --Sako Kodiak. Hmmm...detachable mag and seems a bit expensive at $1700+ (actual prices on Gunbroker.com)
    --Weatherby Mark V Synthetic (or Fibermark). No iron sights from the factory or stainless option. But could order with sights and Cera-kote.
    --Winchester Safari Express. Not weather resistant and at upper end of weight range. Does anyone make a good synthetic stock for it?

So which would you choose (or did choose) and why? I am also looking in the used market but so far unsuccessfully. This will be my all-purpose "globetrotter" rifle (hopefully I'll get a chance to do some globe-trotting with something other than an M-9/M-16). Thank you for your inputs.
    If ya dont mind how come the rooger didnt work for yoo?

Plenty of the Winchesters on GB, AA and GA. Just gotta have patience.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would recommend finding a Winchester Classic stainless model 70. Far less money and a better gun than the Kimber. With Kimber you are always rolling the dice. Some good, some not so good.

Magnum,

The Ruger didn't work for me because it didn't work period. About once every 4 cycles or so it would let the rim of the cartridge in the magazine dip below the bolt and therefore not chamber the round. It would also scratch and dent the brass more than I found acceptable. You could see obvious deformaties in the rails where it had been poorly cast. I sent it back to Ruger twice for them to fix it. Each time it took them 2 months to send it back, and it still wasn't fixed. So the 3rd time I sent it back, I just told them to mail me back a check for the amount I paid for the thing. I know many like their Rugers, but the poor initial quality and then the poor customer service that I received just turned me off from Ruger.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast