Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recovered barnes tsx 180gr bullet from grizzly

Default recovered barnes tsx 180gr bullet from grizzly

recovered barnes tsx 180gr 308 bullet from grizzly. 85% weight left. 3000 fps 70 yard shot. through ribs then through front shoulder. recovered in far side hide.

IMG_1550.jpg

Did it drop the bear 1 shot?
    Is that a 308 or a short mag.
    Can yoo get 3000fps oota a 308 with 180 grainer?
    I load those 180s hot for my 300 win mag And I get 3kfps on near max loads.

That picture does not show much expansion. Especially when you figure the information you provided saying the bear was hit at 70 yards with the projectile traveling at 3000 fps.

I would expect a much larger mushroom on the leading side given those figures. Makes me think the TSX is not a bullet to use on longer shots. Wonder what it would have looked like if the shot had been at 200 yards or if the velocity had dropped to 2000 fps at impact?

I think I am going to pass on Barnes bullets for my use.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I believe this is what you want your bullet to look like when complete. 225 gr Winchester Failsafe, shot from a .338 at 170 yards. Through both front shoulders of a bull moose and under the hide on the far side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a 300 WSM. The issue is not that the bullet didn't expand. When the TSX expands, the jacket peels back into 4 petals. Loks like most of the petals broke off though. Everything else being equal, the bullet would have probably performed better at a longer range since the petals would have been less likely to break off.

How far did he run after he was shot?

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    Looks like a 300 WSM. The issue is not that the bullet didn't expand. When the TSX expands, the jacket peels back into 4 petals. Loks like most of the petals broke off though. Everything else being equal, the bullet would have probably performed better at a longer range since the petals would have been less likely to break off.

How far did he run after he was shot?
    I would have to agree with WIsam, It was moving faster at only 70yrds and I would think it hit pretty heavy bone going threw the shoulder.

Default 180gn TTSX

I played with my 300 win mag / 180 gn Barnes TTSX / 3000 fps yesterday and here are 3 shots "welded" into a 1/2in steel plate at 250 yards....They almost made it through the steel plate. What I found interesting is they stayed intacked - didn't try to pull one and weigh it - may do that.Still tough to beat the Nosler 180 & 200 gn Partitions....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Well, he obviously didn't recover it from a live animal!

Quote Originally Posted by biganimal View Post
    recovered barnes tsx 180gr 308 bullet from grizzly. 85% weight left. 3000 fps 70 yard shot. through ribs then through front shoulder. recovered in far side hide.

IMG_1550.jpg
    You can't beat the Barnes TSX.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biganimal View Post

IMG_1550.jpg
    Very nice, I like penetration over expansion, you have to get thru the spine/skull or put a hole in the heart. Barnes triple shocks are my favorite.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Is that a 308 or a short mag.
    Can yoo get 3000fps oota a 308 with 180 grainer?
    Short mag....308 won't generate that kinda speed with a 180.

I'd heard of petals ripping off TSXs up close but these are the first I've seen photos of. I basically quit using TSX because my rifle doesn't shoot them very well. This is maybe another reason...

Barnes #4 manual lists 2 loads that generate over 3K with 180's using a 24 inch barrel. How far did the animal go after the shot? Given the velocity at impact, I'd say the bullet performed well.

+1 on failsafes. I've had bad expieriances with partitions and all everybody asked was did it kill the bear. yup. same can be said here. If I'm not using failsafes than all I use are barnes TTSX's.

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    I believe this is what you want your bullet to look like when complete. 225 gr Winchester Failsafe, shot from a .338 at 170 yards. Through both front shoulders of a bull moose and under the hide on the far side.
    I have had failsafe's do the exact same thing when shooting bears at close range with my 300 win mag. Both times I was using 180gr Failsafe's and the petals broke off after shooting lengthways through the bears and them DRT. Both bullets are great designs and do their job regardless of what breaks off or if they even expand. The key is they do not blow apart no mater what they hit.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

This could be an interesting sticky; A visual of bullet performance on real game situations - variables and dynamics regarding caliber, bullet, grain, loads, distance, soft tissue impact vs bones.....

I read a lot of posts on the above - but more proof in the pics.

Ive ben loading triple shocks since they came oot for my rger 300. I started loading yoosing them becase I hnt admiralty often. I load them for the penetration not expansion. Hit a big bone in a deer like the forward ribs or shoolder blade And they hold together bot the bone jist aboot explodes. I hit a deer in the spine at aroond 50 yards and dang neer blew him in half. I took a deer on a strait on throat shot At say 100yds. The 180 tsx at 3kfps enter perfect jist below the chin. It hit brianstem and the pressre made the scoll pop open and the brian popped oot all in one piece withoot a scratch on it. Im serios it was my first kill with the 300 and triple shock. Then the bllet travel down spine along the neck and follow the spin to almost the rear hip before taking a left and exiting. It took the the entire lenght of the backstrap on that side with it. Bad Mojo. The deer carted of backward. The brain was on the groond aboot 5 feet away laying there like it was srgically removed. (HI PETA any takers lol) Got to pick yoor shot on the deer or yool destroy half of it with a 300. I killed a deer at aboot 390 yards with one oota the 300 and the damage was jist as bad if not worse as close shot. I clipped the shoolder blades and they blew all over inside bot the bollet never even slowed down. I did start loading my roonds a little less hot bot havent tested a resolt yet. 50 yards or 250yds it ponches throo and blows the bones apart. Hopefolly in sept. I will lock oot And get to test one on a moose oota my 375 rgr. By the way it does a lot less damage to the deer than a 300. Becase of the lower velocity less destroctive velocity even thoo the bollet is bigger. I think with the barnes if yoo load em down a bit slow em a little they might have more time to expand the petals And not tear them off. Load em hot and they are mcnasty for the the smaller game. The bllet is way togher than the bone. so the bone is gonna give first.

OK its a 300WSM.. First shot put him down on the ground kicking, second shot, then third shot all was quite. I did not wait around to see if it was a one shot kill. Just kept throwng out copper.

I was not happy with the 300s and tsx penetration on the bear. with moose the bullet just pushed through and leaves a big hole on the far side.

For grizzly I think I will bring my 35whelen or 375 ruger next time..

Maybe a 200gr tsx out of the 300 WSM would give better penetration for grizzly. slow the bullet down a little.

I like the penetration and that the bullet did not explode. I shot a 180g, .308 TTSX from a 300 win into a big log and then recovered the bullet after making fire wood. The pedals were all broke off, of course. The bullet weighed 135 grains (75%) and it expanded to .45 inches. A 45 caliber hole is not so bad really. A .70 hole would be better of course. The TSX bullet does smash through bone. I bet not many people recover them to examine. I am trying the etips this year. I hope they do well like the tsx and the failsafes.

here is the bear

I agree with OutaMT, great post, and would be a great sticky with bullet performance and photos. I have been working on my 300 RUM with Barnes TSX and I really like the grouping and consistancy and retention and penetration is the final outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast