Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't forget to remove the bore sighter

Exclamation Don't forget to remove the bore sighter

Click on the image for the whole story:

Looks like you could turn it upside down for a coat rack now Hope it wasn't yours. Hope no one got hurt to badly, must of made someone Sh%t themselve, I know I would of.

Sorry didn't click the link till after posting this. Wow!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by HuntNBgame; 08-09-2010 at 04:40. Reason: Missed clicking on the link

Wow, one of those things costs $140?! I just bore sight by removing the bolt and looking through the bore, then through the scope until things are lined up pretty well. Keeps this from happening and I save $140 to boot.

I hope that dude is OK...

Bore sighter? Heck no, that is the prototype "in barrel" laser from crimson trace! Guess it's back to the drawing board on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I just bore sight by removing the bolt and looking through the bore, then through the scope until things are lined up pretty well.
    The average Joe can't figure that one out. Must have a laser beam shine thru the barrel to figure out where that bullet might end up going.

I wonder if the bore sight shot out and hit the target exactly where it said that it would.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    I wonder if the bore sight shot out and hit the target exactly where it said that it would.
    I wonder if the EMTs thought to check that.

At least he can now check the inside of the barrel for any imperfections.

BTW, I've never needed to use a bore sight myself.
    Now what ?

Sucks to be that guy, hope no one else goes through it as it must've been painful. I don't use those either, bore sighting is the only effective way to go.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    That was a good laugh

The lazers that chamber like a round does are pretty dang handy for checking zero after traveling. Not that you shouldn't fire a few live rounds anyway, but they show right away if something went drastically bad.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I think I may pick one of those up honestly. It is light and would be handy on a fly out just as a last minute check.

Default Wisdom

Well, next month I will have accumulated 54 yrs of wisdom and here's what I can pass along.
    About 95% of the time I need only about 2% of what I have accumualted and "thought" I needed - like bore sighters, range finders, gps, cell phones etc!
    Now I have piles and drawers full of stuff I don't use, heck sometimes I have even bought a second gizmo because I had not used the first one and forgot I had it - Geez!
    Bullet selection, Hmm same general idea - I would hate to add up all the money I have spent researching a new "perfect" game load - it was something to pass the idle time with for sure but it would have likely bought me another hunt and I usually go back to a trusted and proven bullet load in the end anyway!
    My thoughts are simpler now - take that same money, save it, and enjoy a hunting or fishing trip with it and stop buying stuff I really don't need!
    As for scopes getting out of zero - I have NEVER had that happen after properly
    anchoring the scope and working up a load?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

As for scopes getting out of zero - I have NEVER had that happen after properly
    anchoring the scope and working up a load?
    Has yours been through the airlines, piled into a load of gear into a Cessna 206, then flown out in a Super Cub, then another 20 miles upriver in a boat or on horseback? Frankly, when a rifle gets to that point it's awful nice to check and make sure everything is skookum on a once in a lifetime hunt.

This was on Myth Busters about 2 years ago. They tried all sorts of things to get a rifle barrel to do this. They set it in there like you're supposed to, hammered it in, etc. Nothing could duplicate the result shown here. Eventually they welded the thing to the tip of the barrel and that caused it to get shot out and create a small bulge at the tip of the barrel. All firing was done remotely for the show. I wonder if there wasn't something wrong with the barrel in the photo here or if it was just some kind of mock up.

Default firing a rifle after plugging the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    This was on Myth Busters about 2 years ago. They tried all sorts of things to get a rifle barrel to do this.
    While this one in particular could have been mocked, I don't believe that this can't happen, as you say.

I used to know a guy a long time ago that did this on purpose multiple times to create training tools. He would plug the barrel with mud/sand, tie the gun to a tree, tie a very long string to the trigger and fire it from WAY OVER THERE. I saw his results; not unlike the picture shown.

If you mud a barrel during a hunt, you do NOT shoot it out. You clean the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Has yours been through the airlines, piled into a load of gear into a Cessna 206, then flown out in a Super Cub, then another 20 miles upriver in a boat or on horseback? Frankly, when a rifle gets to that point it's awful nice to check and make sure everything is skookum on a once in a lifetime hunt.
    Hi AKDoug, well, I think I have experienced all of those things, had a chap in Montreal throw our gear about 15 feet onto a conveyor - some of it went on over to the ground - I watched my backpack with a new pair of Swarovski binocs bounce off the pavement - I got to spend some time with the mounties that day!
    With that said, I should have said in the previous post - I have never had any of my scopes loose zero on a trip - that does not mean I did not fire them to check the zero. I just think firing them is a much better way to make sure they are still on target than trusting a bore sighter and having to drag one more piece of gear along. I much prefer carrying some xtra rounds to test fire the gun.
    If on a guided hunt I think the guide feels much better if he can actually watch his client shoot live rounds into a target also - most of my guided hunts they asked, or req'd, me to prove myself before we went out - that is fine with me....
    One hunter in a bear camp was a drunk, he shot sooo bad at 25 yards he could not hit a 1 foot circle with a rem 742 30-06 - he had the shakes so bad - he drank a couple beers and finally hit the target - outfitter was not impressed with him Thankfully he shot a med size bear first night out and managed to kill it.....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Like I said, it's no replacement for firing actual live rounds. However, the chambered lazers do a great job to make sure you aren't totally screwed up before firing a round. Saves making a bunch of noise on a remote hunt for sure. BTW.. I also have never had a rifle change zero. In fact, my trusty Remington 700 30-06 went to the range last month and needed no adjustments for about it's 15th year.

Quiet gets a +1 for sure!
    It would be my luck to load that puppy in the dark, then have a big Ole mean Griz charge me and instead of hearing click-boom, the last thing I would see before I departed this life would be a red dot on his forehead!

VERY Odd that it stopped right at the for-end, also odd that it is straight and not following the weaker path of the lands of the rifling. My guess is someone was going to replace the barrel and decided to use a band saw to cut right up to the for-end, and then peeled for maximum visual effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast