Thread: Seward shrimping

Default Seward shrimping

Has anybody did the personal use shrimping out of Seward? Any luck or is it not even worth trying? I am sure if it is good this will be a BIG secret, since it would be quite a bit cheaper than PWS, especially out of Whittier. Going back down to Seward this week and was thinking about taking the shrimp pots, but if it is not worth it then they will stay at home. Thank in advance for any and all info.

I'm not sure it's legal to shrimp around Seward.
    "My rod and my reel, they comfort me."

It's legal to shrimp out of Seward but you have to run well out of Seward. I was checking on it this spring and looked to be about 30 miles or so out before you could shrimp, versus Whittier, which is like 10 minutes out of the harbor.

I believe it's also a different permit required, so the PWS one won't work. You'll need the North Gulf Coast permit, but I think it's available at Fish and Game.

Dan

Dan is correct. More specifically, you need to be out of Resurrection to the west. I got a permit this year, but never set pots. From what I heard it is not a very popular fishery since it takes 4+ hours to get any shrimp, and you have to deal with the Cape Suckling to Gore Point weather to get back to Seward, and I think the vast majority of boats day trip out of Seward. I had heard second hand that there was shrimp to be had, but it was not anything incredible.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded